Honey malt in Ginger Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
The title sums it up pretty well. I am going to make a ginger ale and ramp up the ginger a touch, compared to previous batches. So I thought I'd throw in some Honey Malt to balance things out and bring a different element to the beer. I've never used honey malt before.
My recipe is simple:

7.5 lbs pilsner malt
1 lb C40
.5 lb honey malt

.5 oz Belma at 60 min
2 oz Hersbrucker at 10 min
3 oz fresh ginger at 10 min

Wyeast 1272

Mash at 150

OG ~1.045
IBU ~30

Does that look like a good amount of honey malt to add? I've read through some old threads suggesting .5 lbs can be overwhelming and that up to 10% should be nice in a beer. Definitely mixed opinions. Should I bump up closer to 10% or stay at the roughly 5.6% it is at now? Thanks for any input.

5% the limit in a light beer for me. It is a domestic equivlent of meladonin or belgian aromatic malt. Its flavor is slightly different, but it adds an exaggerated munich type maltiness, and malty smell. Too much can be cloying, or out of place without other flavors to back it up.

Back