Hydrogen Peroxide as a sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
Just started brewing. Finally a Christmas gift that is useful!!

Has anyone tried Hydrogen Peroxide to sanitize in place of bleach or the Iodine solutions? I know that some of the major food processing companies use Peroxide to sanitize their containers before the food product is introduced.

I asked the same question a couple weeks ago. Did a little research and according to the FDA, a 7-1/2% solution of hydrogen peroxide is a steralant (60 minutes) and a high level disinfectant (10 minutes). The action is oxidation to accomplish the effects. The only by-products are water and oxygen. But, I cannot attest to weather it might cause off flavor. I use a 3% as a mouth wash and can say it does have a taste. No one seems to have tried it though, so I am assuming there is a reason, as we aren't the first to think of it. And it is widely usedin the food industry.

It won't leave any taste once it has all broken down into water & O2. That makes it good for food containers. I think part of the problem is cost and part of the problem is, it is unstable. Not in a dangerous way, it just decomposes over time.

Pure hydrogen peroxide was once used as a rocket fuel. 3% is cheap enough, but not the steralant found with 7-1/2% (available through hospital supplies), and that likely to get costly. Hydrogen peroxide is also used to aid in seed germination. I suspect that that may be related to why not used in brewing. I think there is a reason beyond just cost, but nowhere seems to be utilized in relation to brewing. I refer to the taste as soapy, but that is due to the bubbling action mainly. Makes a great mouth wash, only have had two cavities in 62 years.

Back