First Recipe From Scratch: Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstone89

Reaction score
Hey guys Im about to brew up my first self made recipe in a couple weeks. Hoping it will find approval here. Please let me know what you think.

3.3lbs Amber LME
3.3lbs Dark LME
1lb Cystal 60L (steeped)
1/2lb Chocolate (steeped)
1/4lb Black Patent (steeped)
1/4lb Roasted Barley (steeped)
64oz Pure Dark Amber Maple Syrup (in secondary)

Hops
1oz Chinook 60min
.5oz Challenger 45min
.5oz Fuggles 5min

I figure this should end up around 7.5% abv if my yeast do well.
I used both the Tinseth and Rager hop utilization algorithms and averaged them so about 35 IBU on the final product with a 3gal boil. I steep me grains at 155F for 30min.

Any suggestions would be awesome. :tank:

Hey guys Im about to brew up my first self made recipe in a couple weeks. Hoping it will find approval here. Please let me know what you think.

3.3lbs Amber LME
3.3lbs Dark LME
1lb Cystal 60L (steeped)
1/2lb Chocolate (steeped)
1/4lb Black Patent (steeped)
1/4lb Roasted Barley (steeped)
64oz Pure Dark Amber Maple Syrup (in secondary)

Hops
1oz Chinook 60min
.5oz Challenger 45min
.5oz Fuggles 5min

I figure this should end up around 7.5% abv if my yeast do well.
I used both the Tinseth and Rager hop utilization algorithms and averaged them so about 35 IBU on the final product with a 3gal boil. I steep me grains at 155F for 30min.

Any suggestions would be awesome. :tank:

My suggestion is to use light extract as your base and get your color solely from the specialty grain addition. Roasted barley is more of a stout thing although you can certainly use it if you like. I like the more mellow dark grains in a porter. Also rather than add the maple syrup in the secondary add it at the end of the boil to eliminate any infection problems.

6.6 # extract
1 # crystal
1 # chocolate malt
.5 # Carafa II (much less sharp than black patent)
Maple syrup

Thanks for the tips. I spent a good while figuring my hops so Im glad they sound ok. I want it to be fairly roasted but not over bearing. I had thought about using crystal 60 and some 120 too. Would the light base and more use of specialty grains make it more flavorful?

Back