I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy friends!

Dan, I hope things are going good with the move. Good luck on your guitar solo at the airport, although you don't need luck!

Bobbi, I sure wish I was close enough to you to buy some berries!

Rural, those carboys are awesome, but I'm still scared of glass!

I had a great brew day yesterday. My boil always raises the temp of my back patio by 5-7 degrees. Yesterday when I was boiling it said 111F. Fun fun! It took about an hour to chill 9.5 gallons even with my pump and ice water. Still a great day, though.

I just finished watering my hops for the evening. My Columbus cones are getting big and juicy! It's definitely the most hearty of the 8 varieties I'm growing. Now I know which variety is best suited for my hot, dry climate...

IMG-20130630-00061.jpg

I spent from 8:30am to about 10 after 1pm working in my back property. It's gotten overgrown and I had to get the dry grass cut before the kiddies start setting off fireworks. I know they will even if they are banned this year, and I'd rather not have a tinder box for embers to land in. I also trimmed one of the crab apple trees so I can walk under it without ducking.

Working with the mower and chainsaw again confirmed my orginal thinking that a chainsaw isn't actually all that tiring to handle. It must have been the heat that kicked my but the last time. It was about 5 degrees cooler this time, and I'm more used to it later in the season like this. I was tired after that, but not wiped out like the last time.

To give you guys an idea how big that back property is, I mowed it with a standard push mower. I started with a full tank and had to gas it back up twice, plus it overheated and stalled out once.

My black walnut tree is alive. :) That's one of the three things in the garden I actually care about. That, the blackberries, and the asparagus. The grapes are alive too, so is one of the blueberries I was sure was dead. The asparagus is going to seed like I was expecting. The strawberries are doing alright too. There is more stuff in the garden, but that's really everything I have an interest in.

I picked up most of the rest of the stuff I need to finish the bathroom completely. I forgot the calking for around the tub and shower enclosure though. Oh well, another time.

Howdy friends!

Dan, I hope things are going good with the move. Good luck on your guitar solo at the airport, although you don't need luck!

Bobbi, I sure wish I was close enough to you to buy some berries!

Rural, those carboys are awesome, but I'm still scared of glass!

I had a great brew day yesterday. My boil always raises the temp of my back patio by 5-7 degrees. Yesterday when I was boiling it said 111F. Fun fun! It took about an hour to chill 9.5 gallons even with my pump and ice water. Still a great day, though.

I just finished watering my hops for the evening. My Columbus cones are getting big and juicy! It's definitely the most hearty of the 8 varieties I'm growing. Now I know which variety is best suited for my hot, dry climate...

Is that a peach tree? If so, what type and how's it doing?

Is that a peach tree? If so, what type and how's it doing?

It is indeed a peach tree. Ironically it's a wild shoot, and I have no idea what variety it is. I bought a dwarf peach that was grafted on to a standard root base a couple years ago, and planted it. It fizzled out, but threw out a couple wild shoots. I normally clip the wild shoots, but I decided to let this one grow. It really took off, and it has peaches all over it. It's only on its second year surprisingly. I'm hoping to get enough for a sour mash peach saison.

Hello friends :)

Not sure, but believe you folks are some of my best friends. I apologize for not keeping up with this thread lately.

I use "a lot going on" as an excuse probably.

I told ya'll I sold my nice leather couches. Of course I got less than 1/3 the money I paid for them. I was going to use that money to help out with my first mortgage payment on the new house. I didn't though.

About six weeks ago my daughter picked up my old guitar. Started playing it. I bought the thing years ago, thinking I'd play it. Advance the clock 6 years and mt daughter is playing it...she is a natural. Self taught.

I took the money I received from the couch and love seat and bought my daughter a new guitar, It's a nice Mitchell. I also used some of the money to buy her friend a guitar as well. Neither of them are expensive guitars. I spent about 400 bucks for the two. Call me a cheap Arse.

Both guitars sound real nice.. I know music even if I can't play. These guitars sound really nice. I had her friend and her friend's boyfriend over tonight. We sat on lawn chairs (cause I sold my furniture) and everybody took turns playing. Mostly my daughter her girlfriend. He girlfriend is a young Phillipina girl and is shy. I try as my daughter does to make the girl feel at home, comfortable.. Thats why I pick up a guitar once in a while and play a very, very, very basic tune. I figure I let my guard down, and then maybe other people will too. No reason to be insecure on my part.

My daughter's friend plays really well but is insecure initially to play.

It was a fun night. Lot of guitar playing by my daughter and her friend. And by me too, although I really have no idea how to play.. Ido have and ear for music and will learn to play well, "Love Me Tender" for my wife..

Cheers Everybody

Dan

Hello friends :)

Not sure, but believe you folks are some of my best friends. I apologize for not keeping up with this thread lately.

I use "a lot going on" as an excuse probably.

I told ya'll I sold my nice leather couches. Of course I got less than 1/3 the money I paid for them. I was going to use that money to help out with my first mortgage payment on the new house. I didn't though.

About six weeks ago my daughter picked up my old guitar. Started playing it. I bought the thing years ago, thinking I'd play it. Advance the clock 6 years and mt daughter is playing it...she is a natural. Self taught.

I took the money I received from the couch and love seat and bought my daughter a new guitar, It's a nice Mitchell. I also used some of the money to buy her friend a guitar as well. Neither of them are expensive guitars. I spent about 400 bucks for the two. Call me a cheap Arse.

Both guitars sound real nice.. I know music even if I can't play. These guitars sound really nice. I had her friend and her friend's boyfriend over tonight. We sat on lawn chairs (cause I sold my furniture) and everybody took turns playing. Mostly my daughter her girlfriend. He girlfriend is a young Phillipina girl and is shy. I try as my daughter does to make the girl feel at home, comfortable.. Thats why I pick up a guitar once in a while and play a very, very, very basic tune. I figure I let my guard down, and then maybe other people will too. No reason to be insecure on my part.

My daughter's friend plays really well but is insecure initially to play.

It was a fun night. Lot of guitar playing by my daughter and her friend. And by me too, although I really have no idea how to play.. Ido have and ear for music and will learn to play well, "Love Me Tender" for my wife..

Cheers Everybody

Dan

I'd trade my couch for a night like that. :mug:

Hey LG! Just re-rad my last post and rea;ozed I can be a bit redundant.

How is the house reformation going? I'm actually a bit envious. Tis really nice to get caught up in rejuvenation of a home.

I'd trade my couch for a night like that. :mug:

LRB, me too. There is something more comforting than a nice house and fluffy furniture. Family, Family.

I'm nuts for moving over to Hawaii cause my kids are here in California. thinking of that makes me go nuts.

Goodnight friends :) Have to drive to Monterey tomorrow. Hope to secure an apartment for my daughter.

Peace be with you.

Dan

Hey LG! Just re-rad my last post and rea;ozed I can be a bit redundant.

How is the house reformation going? I'm actually a bit envious. Tis really nice to get caught up in rejuvenation of a home.
I had to read that post twice to make sure you weren't telling us your daughter was a lesbian.:p

It's going well. It's just minor little stuff left for the bathroom. I put up the towel bar and ring, and replaced the screws that were holding the coat hook I put behind the door with auger anchors. Then filled the holes in the door that some dork made trying to mount a hook on the back side of a hollow core door. I still need to replace the door handle with a nice brushed nickel one, so it matches the rest of the finishes. Replace the receptacle, light switch, and switch plate. Cut a shelf for the medicine cabinet that actually fits correctly. Replace the vanity with one that is actually nice. Get and install some flange bolt covers. Spackle a couple spots on the walls, and do some touch up painting. Then that room will be truly done.

I still need to replace the torsion springs on the garage door, have a couple new circuits run for the downstairs kitchen, gut the downstairs kitchen, gut the upstairs kitchen, refinish the floors, get exterior water installed, replace every original receptacle and switch in the place, remove the paneling in the basement and replace it with drywall, insulate the basement before the drywall goes up, redo the flooring in the basement, replace the baseboard in the whole place, install crown molding in the whole place, do an unholy amount of landscaping, paint everything in sight both inside and out, and get rid of the huge brush pile from cutting the trees and brush.

So, basically, I'm saying this house is perfect. I have as many projects in fixing this house of so many varied types that I should be able to work on it for a decade or more. :D It's strange, I don't like doing this kind of work. I do get an incredible sense of satisfaction over a job well done though.

I forgot about my coffee wine from last month. I just bottled and did the FG measurement. It was off the scale for my hydrometer. I'm estimating it at 0.984 based on how far off the scale it was. That makes this coffee wine 14.7% abv. It's already pretty good. Cold brewing the coffee was definitely the right thing to do. It eliminated the bite the first batch had.

Cold brewing is definitely the way to go. Sounds tasty, and like a butt kicker
Yup. I mostly use it for mixing and cooking. Drinking it straight, the caffeine tends to keep you from passing out until you are dangerously drunk. Sorta like drinking redbull and yager.

I hear you there. I have a black IPA with a bunch of cold brewed coffee in it. At 8.3% it's an emotion producer. ::drunk::

Hello peeps. I am getting drunk on blackberries. I started the "blackberry wine" a week ago. It's just fermented blackberries. A gallon of black berries, 2 pounds sugar, a gallon of water, and EC-1118. The blackberries had been in the fridge for a week and turned into juice. Like they melted or something. The customer was a week late picking them up so I picked him a new gallon and fermented the super juicy gallon. Mmmm... I have been eating the blackberries off the top with whipped cream. Just threw all the ingredients into an old Mr.Beer little brown fermenter thing. After 5 days, I started pulling the blackberries out, eating them with whipped cream, dang they are good. Then after 7 days, started using the spigot to try it, all the blackberries and seeds are floating. The blackberry flavor is so over-powering that I can't even taste any alcohol in it. This was just a practice batch, next time I'll use 1 gallon berries to 2 gallons water and let it go longer. My lips and tongue are a bluish-black color.

:cross:

Sitting on the deck after a stray thunderstorm (that's what the weather folks called it) with all the lights out watching late night fireworks and listening to the neighbor's sprinklers going. I love seeing the Kongming (Chinese) lanterns floating through the sky, but I really don't want one landing on my roof. A little more IPA and I won't care where the lanterns land. If they land in the neighbors yard, problem solved.

Realized I have a farmer's tan from hell. My arms are about 20 shades darker than my legs. My black far-away neighbors even told me, wow, you aren't nearly as white as you used to be!! Of course, they saw me dressed in a tank top with my jeans on.

I don't know if I fell asleep tonight or passed out, but it's all good. Must pick more blackberries when the sun wakes up. One week fermenting and this **** is off the chain. Just poured another small glass. All I taste is blackberry, it is dark, rich, and drunkilicious!!!!! I like that word.

Oh, and hubby is in bad shape. I am back on the farm taking care of him, despite how he got so violent for a time. He is incapable of being violent now and also feels really bad about it. He had never been violent in the past and that phase seems to be over. From the chemo, his eyes are burnt, his mouth is burnt, and his hands and feet too. His skin is peeling off. This is his second round of chemo, first one 9 treatments, this time 12 treatments and he's got 3 treatments left in this round. His hair is just now starting to fall out. Which he thought was funny when I mentioned he was losing his hair. He's 52 and he's been losing hair since his 40's, nothing to do with chemo. But now he's going completely bald.

Separating myself from it. Not letting it get to me. Focus on berries, focus on my vacation with my son next month, focus on getting my website back on track, focus on my customers. Maybe my feelings are broken but I don't care. After 2 years of dealing with this, tunnel vision. My goals that don't involve hubby. I love him but I can't let myself go down with him. Yeah, he's dying, but I am not, I'm living.

Hi Everybody!

Hope everybody is doing well. I've been kind of busy lately. I just sat down at the the computer and haven't read but this page. BobbiLynn I think I want to drink a beer and pick black berries with you someday. I'm sorry to hear your husband is not doing well, Sis.

I got a call from a familiar number today, I need to call back later.

It's been hot here lately, been doing a lot of work outside and loving the heat, sweating profusely and pounding water.

Today was a chill day. I pressure washed my driveway, cleaned out some kegs, took my 3 tap kegerator apart, put one tap back on it, removed the drip tray and interior plumbing (it was plumbed to have four faucets I just never got around to it installing the fourth one) I'm selling it at what I consider a decent price. Big fridge can easily be converted back to a four tap kegerator. Posted on CL. Hopefully somebody with interest and the realization what a good deal it is will give me a call. I figure worse comes to worst I'll remove the tap, plug all the holes and put it back up on CL as a barter or nice looking cheap fridge for sell.

Spent yesterday afternoon in the 110 degree heat dressed in coveralls, thick leather gloves and safety glasses and went on with day three of battling my 30 foot palm tree. Nasty guy he is. Big thorns, tough branches. I haven't reached my goal of making the thing look like a Marine haircut out of bootcamp but getting there. To be honest I think I'm done. I don't want to say I'm getting to old for this kind of work cause I'm not, just to out of shape for it. If only I still had a chain saw. A small 12" would be perfect. My cheap hand tree saw and clippers are just a bit more than I can deal with.

About 8-9 years ago I built my wife a garden workbench. It was simple to build and cheap. Mainly just pine 1X3 and 2x3, a piece of pegboard and a foot or so of 1x4 for trim. Also, and I don't even remember what this was originally used for but a plastic dirt dust tray. It bench held up well over the years. A little warped on the top shelf. I had some green paint and stain on hand so re-stained and painted it today. I think my green thumb wife loves that bench more than me so it's going to Hawaii.

garden-bench-60405.jpg

Good week overall. Found renters, found an apartment for my daughter and put the deposit on it. She had a potential roommate but the parents thought the apartment was to far from the school (10 miles). Daughter says don't worry, Dad. She is posted an add on CL and is screening for roommates. CL adds kind of scare me but that is actually how many of these college kids find roommates. It will all be fine. My daughter has a very good head on her shoulders and I'll be active but not over reactive in her selection process. She has to grow up. No worries. It is all going to work out. My wife even found me a place to stay in my interim between here and Hawaii.

Still a ton of stuff to do and I do stress a bit but it's all going to be good man.

Cheers Everybody!
:mug::mug::mug:

About 8-9 years ago I built my wife a garden workbench. It was simple to build and cheap. Mainly just pine 1X3 and 2x3, a piece of pegboard and a foot or so of 1x4 for trim. Also, and I don't even remember what this was originally used for but a plastic dirt dust tray. It bench held up well over the years. A little warped on the top shelf. I had some green paint and stain on hand so re-stained and painted it today. I think my green thumb wife loves that bench more than me so it's going to Hawaii.

That should teach you to ever build her anything again!

Hi Everybody!

Hope everybody is doing well. I've been kind of busy lately. I just sat down at the the computer and haven't read but this page. BobbiLynn I think I want to drink a beer and pick black berries with you someday. I'm sorry to hear your husband is not doing well, Sis.

I got a call from a familiar number today, I need to call back later.

It's been hot here lately, been doing a lot of work outside and loving the heat, sweating profusely and pounding water.

Today was a chill day. I pressure washed my driveway, cleaned out some kegs, took my 3 tap kegerator apart, put one tap back on it, removed the drip tray and interior plumbing (it was plumbed to have four faucets I just never got around to it installing the fourth one) I'm selling it at what I consider a decent price. Big fridge can easily be converted back to a four tap kegerator. Posted on CL. Hopefully somebody with interest and the realization what a good deal it is will give me a call. I figure worse comes to worst I'll remove the tap, plug all the holes and put it back up on CL as a barter or nice looking cheap fridge for sell.

Spent yesterday afternoon in the 110 degree heat dressed in coveralls, thick leather gloves and safety glasses and went on with day three of battling my 30 foot palm tree. Nasty guy he is. Big thorns, tough branches. I haven't reached my goal of making the thing look like a Marine haircut out of bootcamp but getting there. To be honest I think I'm done. I don't want to say I'm getting to old for this kind of work cause I'm not, just to out of shape for it. If only I still had a chain saw. A small 12" would be perfect. My cheap hand tree saw and clippers are just a bit more than I can deal with.

garden-bench-60405.jpg

Good week overall. Found renters, found an apartment for my daughter and put the deposit on it. She had a potential roommate but the parents thought the apartment was to far from the school (10 miles). Daughter says don't worry, Dad. She is posted an add on CL and is screening for roommates. CL adds kind of scare me but that is actually how many of these college kids find roommates. It will all be fine. My daughter has a very good head on her shoulders and I'll be active but not over reactive in her selection process. She has to grow up. No worries. It is all going to work out. My wife even found me a place to stay in my interim between here and Hawaii.

Still a ton of stuff to do and I do stress a bit but it's all going to be good man.

Cheers Everybody!
:mug::mug::mug:

Maybe she loves the bench because you made it. My wife has a fondness for me that no one has been able to figure out.:D

That should teach you to ever build her anything again!

Funny thing is, I've built quite a lot of stuff over the years but that thing she prefers the most. I don't know? Women!

Maybe she loves the bench because you made it. My wife has a fondness for me that no one has been able to figure out.:D
Nah, I think she just likes to garden. ha ha. You're probably right Beaks. I made her something special and that counts. One thing I've found out with this last two and a half years of living a geo-bachelor life, I'm more creative when my wife is close by.. Life then is just better. :mug:

Good idea TN. I'd probably have better bedroom results with that than my go to, "Hey! You wanna get nekkid an' wrastle?"

It is a beautiful summer day here in Wisconsin too. I got some chores done around the house this morning, mowed the lawn and watered everything and will be headed north to the cottage in a bit. Not much time for rest and relaxation though. Have to mow and trim, work on the landscaping and try and finish some of those inside jobs that I have put off for far too long. But I did buy a fishing license so maybe I can find time to wet a line. I probably won't catch anything because I'm the worlds worst fisherman but it is a good excuse to sit by the river and drink beer.

So have a happy and safe 4th, have a homebrew, watch some fireworks and remember all the blessings we all tend to take for granted.

It's the 4th of July. I had to work. Now I've got a migraine, and a glass of grapefruit wine in me... Yeah, there won't be much coherent thought tonight.

Back