Self-contained Jockey Box for tailgating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8rbama

Reaction score
Here's my plan. I've finally convinced my wife into letting me get the equipment to keg. Got a heck of a deal on the Sanyo 4912 at Best Buy using reward zone certificates and a coupon. However, I don't have room to put it out where I can do the whole tower deal right now, so I will likely just serve from picnic taps inside the fridge.

A huge reason for kegging is for tailgating. I'm not going to build a nice kegerator and transport it out to the tailgate every week and get it all beat up. I'm thinking of a jockey box. I've found a two-circuit cold plate for a good price, and hoping to get a decent deal on a pair of 3-gal cornies.

Here's the million-dollar question: How much ice do I need on the cold plate? I'm hoping to make this all self-contained, ie use 3-gal cornies so I can fit them inside a decent-sized cooler. The cornies will be chilled in the fridge before hand.

Anyone tried something like this and have a cooler recommendation?

If the cornies are bathed in ice, the cold plate is somewhat redundant. No... not redundant... unnecessary.

Between the cold plate, the cooler and the premium paid on 3 gallon cornies, you might well have bought a second Sanyo.

Just MHO.

I like the cooler + cooler combo.

Yeah, price for building a jockey box would come out to over half of what the Sanyo is worth.

-but-

I told my tailgating buddies that my wife was cool with kegging. They all mentioned something about the "cooler with taps thingy" and offered to chip in if I could make it to take commercial kegs too, so my plan is to get the cold plate and use flared fittings so we could put a sanke tap on it in the future if need be. If they help pay for it, I will definitely build it.

I've got another buddy who may have the hookup for 3-gal cornies and I figured that would just be icing on the cake to be able to use them INSIDE the jockey box.

Everything being self-contained would make for quick cleanup to head to the game, no more than I have right now with a cooler full of bottled beer.

But I'm cool with a trash can full of ice as well.

Back