American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brown malt is quite different than amber and will certainly add a bit of something you do not want in the beer. Maybe get some Melanoidin or some Crystal 20-30 L.

I used the Yellow Dry profile in Brun Water and brewed the recipe as listed on page 1... and it’s delicious!

Mine has less pine than DFH60 but the simcoe/Amarillo dry hop aroma is much better. Next time I will up the bitterness slightly to 1oz warrior at 60.

Just curious about this recipe.. Beer memory isn't perfect... but dfh60 has been showing up in our parts on tap in several places, and after trying it a few times, I was very underwhelmed. I seem to recall it was a good brew in the past, but memory could be foggy, recipe could have changed (mass market production?), etc. Is it just beer senility??

I brewed this and IMO it's no where near the commercial brand. Taste and hops are off. Could have been my process. Could have been my water profile. Don't get me wrong, it's good. My wife liked it so that's a plus. The color is really close however for me the hops are off.
I have started increasing my IBU's by a min of 10 to get close to what the commercial breweries show. Same for this clone. Had I increased my IBU's by 10-15 I may have been in the ball park.
FWIW, I didn't really care for the commercial DH60- I just wanted to brew it because of the way they add in the hops and to see if it makes any difference.
I would probably brew this again with some changes.

Yeah I agree, this isn't quite a clone anymore but I believe that is because commercial DFH60 has changed over the years. I found my homebrewed version to have a much fruitier aroma and balanced flavor versus DFH60 which tasted more bitter and lacked the Simcoe/Amarillo aroma. The recipe on page 1 also clocked in at 7% ABV for me, whereas DFH60 is 6% I believe. Although not a spot-on clone I much prefer the homebrew version.

IMO if you want an up to date DFH 60 clone I'd cut the grain bill by a pound, eliminate the dry hops altogether and mix more Warrior in throughout the boil.

This was my second brew back after taking a couple years off. Followed the recipe exactly (though I didn't use the same brand of amber malt), dry hopped for 5 days and kegged it Saturday night. Sat for 36 hours at 30 psi, and I purged the keg this morning and set to serving temp and let it sit all day. Pulled a pint tonight, and I'm impressed. Not the best beer I've ever tasted (though in fairness we got Dogfish Head in my state a couple weeks ago, a week after I brewed this, and I was actually underwhelmed by 60 minute. Just not as good as I remember it being back when I first tried it years ago), but this may be the best beer I've ever made. My wife likes beer sometimes, but isn't quite as into it as me, and has historically been "yeah, that's pretty good" about my homebrews (which is about the same enthusiasm she shows for most beer). This is the first time she's taken a sip and her eyes lit up, and she said "I'm going to have to remember that the kegerator is out in the garage, I might actually have a few of these". I'll count it as a win, and an early sign that I might still know what the hell I'm doing!

This was my second brew back after taking a couple years off. Followed the recipe exactly (though I didn't use the same brand of amber malt), dry hopped for 5 days and kegged it Saturday night. Sat for 36 hours at 30 psi, and I purged the keg this morning and set to serving temp and let it sit all day. Pulled a pint tonight, and I'm impressed. Not the best beer I've ever tasted (though in fairness we got Dogfish Head in my state a couple weeks ago, a week after I brewed this, and I was actually underwhelmed by 60 minute. Just not as good as I remember it being back when I first tried it years ago), but this may be the best beer I've ever made. My wife likes beer sometimes, but isn't quite as into it as me, and has historically been "yeah, that's pretty good" about my homebrews (which is about the same enthusiasm she shows for most beer). This is the first time she's taken a sip and her eyes lit up, and she said "I'm going to have to remember that the kegerator is out in the garage, I might actually have a few of these". I'll count it as a win, and an early sign that I might still know what the hell I'm doing!

That's good to hear!

Good day. I am new to HBT and all grain. Planning on doing this is my first batch. I am quite confused on the hop schedule.

.75 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes) SEE NOTES ON HOPPING!
.50 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.00 Amarillo Gold Dry hop

Am I breaking up the quantity of hops listed into time segments over the 60 minute boil? So a grand total of 1.75 oz of hops would be added over the entire boil? Doesn't seem like that much. Or are those the amounts I add every time i "continuously hop"? In which case the quantity would be significantly more hops.

Also, noob question - dry hopping takes place in the secondary fermented right?

Good day. I am new to HBT and all grain. Planning on doing this is my first batch. I am quite confused on the hop schedule.

.75 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes) SEE NOTES ON HOPPING!
.50 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.00 Amarillo Gold Dry hop

Am I breaking up the quantity of hops listed into time segments over the 60 minute boil? So a grand total of 1.75 oz of hops would be added over the entire boil? Doesn't seem like that much. Or are those the amounts I add every time i "continuously hop"? In which case the quantity would be significantly more hops.

Also, noob question - dry hopping takes place in the secondary fermented right?
I brewed this recipe and I can say the hop quantities are too low. It was still a good beer but no where near the commercial version. Next time I brew this I plan on adding 2-3x the hops, especially the late boil hops.

Dry hops go in the primary. No need to put anything in secondary unless you are aging your beer.

Brewing this beer this upcoming Sunday! Im substituting for the amber malt. I’ve read several pages and it seems that biscuit is the best sub for amber?

I have these malts laying around
-belgian biscuit
-Victory
-special B
-maris otter
-vienna

Any better subs than the biscuit?

Thanks Yooper!

Last edited:
I brewed this recipe and I can say the hop quantities are too low. It was still a good beer but no where near the commercial version. Next time I brew this I plan on adding 2-3x the hops, especially the late boil hops.

Dry hops go in the primary. No need to put anything in secondary unless you are aging your beer.

Thanks Brew703. Ill bring the total hops up to 4 oz or so of the varieties included in the recipe.

I just drew my first glass from my keg. Definitely needs to age a bit though. Brewed January 12th. Sat in primary for 2 weeks including diacetyl rest, 1 week cold crash, closed pressure transfer to keg where it sat for an additional week. This is my first IPA. How long are you guys aging in keg before it’s drinkable?

I just drew my first glass from my keg. Definitely needs to age a bit though. Brewed January 12th. Sat in primary for 2 weeks including diacetyl rest, 1 week cold crash, closed pressure transfer to keg where it sat for an additional week. This is my first IPA. How long are you guys aging in keg before it’s drinkable?
What's wrong with it? Should be drinkable after being carbed.

What's wrong with it? Should be drinkable after being carbed.

It looks like they only fermented for two weeks. That's a pretty tight turnaround for a non-NE IPA, six days shorter than the recipe recommends. I personally would have let it go at least another week. It will almost certainly be better in a couple of weeks.

Just a little bland currently and very hazy. I’m confident it will be better in a few weeks so I’ll report back then.

I hit my FG of 1.010, I don’t think I ever let my beers ferment longer than 2 weeks before cold crashing.

As noted I did make some substitutes -biscuit malt, safale 05, I added more hops than the recipe called for (.25 more on warrior @60 and .5 on Simcoe @35) because I didn’t want to store them in the freezer. Mine taste more like a blonde ale but a touch more bitter. I’m not sure I’m getting as much utilization out of the hops as I should because I wouldn’t say mine tastes like an IPA.

Can’t knock the recipe because I didn’t follow close enough. By all means, a good beer though and will have no problem finishing the keg.

IMG_0350.JPG

You know, these hop flavors keep developing as time goes on. I’m a fan [emoji1360]

Has anyone figured out a good hop ratio for this one? Clearly the original recipe is way way way way way too low. I'm thinking about just doing 2-3 times that much amarillo and simcoe, but only 1 oz warrior. Do you know of any other clones, and what they've done?

I also notice that the extract version has twice the hops. Is the all-grain version just misprinted?

Last edited:
So Yooper, what are your thoughts, comments on this thread as far as people upping the hops etc. Are you still following your original recipe or not even brewing this anymore?

Latest posts

Back