Whole Leaf Hops Vs Pellet Hops how to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
I've done some reading this morning on whole hop utilization and have a question or two or could use some advice.

Due to the hop shortage my LHBS would only give me 3 oz of centennial pellets and the remaining 3 was provided with whole hops.

Below is my recipe with the hop schedule.

1. Should I use the whole hops for the boil and use the pellets for the dry hop? Or the other way around?

2. Any special techniques for the whole hops?

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

2.25 oz Centennial (60 min)
1.50 oz Centennial (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (5 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

I've seen fellow members use either one for the brew kettle additions,& dry hopping. I have a 1oz packet of whole leaf Cascade in the freezer. Gunna maybe use them in an IPA. But I'm going to use our muslin grain bag for the whole leaf,as I believe they'll swell to a larger volume in the BK.

I was also thinking of using my muslin bag in this boil. I've read where people then squeeze the bag.

As I think about more about it, I think it would be easier to use pellets in the dry hop.

Getting ready to start the brew day.

I've read that whole leaf hops absorb more wort then pellets. So squeezing the whole leaf bag seems right to me. I do that with pellets in a bag anyway.

Pellet are better for bittering and early additions...leaf are better for late additions and dry hopping. You get about 90% of the alphas from leaf hops vs pellets. For example, if you have 10%AA Centennial pellets and 10%AA Centennial leaf hops, you'll get ~9%AA out of the leaf hops.

That being said, I often use leaf hops for the whole batch (first wort/bittering/aroma/flavor/dry hopping), as i believe I get better aroma and flavor. Some say it does not matter, but I believe it makes my beers better than had they been all pellets and members in my homebrew club who really enjoy my hoppy beers to agree with me.

*edit* Leaf hops WILL absorb more wort and you'll lose a little volume and have to strain them out, but it's totally worth it!

Good advice.

I think I will go with the pellets at the 60 and 15 min additions and then leaf the rest of the way.

Back