Any Problems weighing ingredients in a measuring cup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
I used to have a digital scale I could weigh ingredients in but the battery died and I cant use it.

Will you still get a good measurement by using a measuring cup? I have one that measures in OZ so that should work right?:(

Be careful of that assumption, the oz from your scale is a measurement of weight, the oz on your measuring cup is referring to fluid ounces, which is a measure of volume. Maybe someone could help out and give a volume conversion per oz of whichever ingredients you are trying to measure.

Wow, OK I figured something was wrong with that way to measure.

Its early and im still hung over so thats my excuse.

Well, my recipe:

Chocolate malt .5lbs
Roasted Barley .5lbs
1 lb. crystal malt, 60° Lovibond
1.5 lb. American six-row pale ale malt
18 oz. oatmeal (quick)
Hops 2 oz:confused:

This is for a partial msh? In the oven at 150ish for 1 hour and 30 mins...

Well, how about a bathroom scale? It might work, if you have it set up to measure to the nearest 1/2 pound. For the oatmeal, 18 ounces is just over a pound, or look on the box. If it's a 40 ounce box, use half?

As far as hops, does it come is a certain size package? You know, if it's a 6 ounce packages, use 1/3?

Awesome, thanks. Now maybe I can brew today.

I have a bathroom scale. I need to recalibrate it alot when measuring grains on and it looks silly, lol.

Ill try it out and see what happens.

Back