Quick starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
If I have to do a 2 quart starter, how big a container should I use? I will be using wheat DME and a Wyeast 3068-Weihenstephen Weizen XL smack pack. Would a 1 gallon jug be ok? Is there a possibility of blow off?

Thanks

This is my first starter and I did a search on google about making starter. So many damn different method I got confused :). Then I came across a pitching calculator at MrMalty.com and it said I should make approx a 1.76 quart starter, then I came across a article at BYO.com which showed how to make a 2 quart started. So I just went with that... also my yeast pack was bought back on Jan. and it has a date on it of Jan. 8th. I just wanted to make a big enough starter to make sure my yeast has the viability to make a starter at around 200 billion cells.

I'd say you'll be fine with a quart starter, 2 qt seems like overkill to me unless you are doing a massively big beer. Follow the instructions on howtobrew.com, best i've come across - just increase the size. I usually do 1qt water and 1 - 11/2 cups DME depending on the gravity of my wort.

Actually 2 quarts is the right amount. This will allow the amount of yeast to roughly double in about 24 hours. those smack packs will only give you about half the amount of yeast you need to properly ferment a 5 gallon batch if you don't use a starter. Doing a quart of starter will not give you the growth you want.

A gallon jug will work just fine for the starter.

People do get by with using a quart, or a pint, or using none at all. That is a little like using a pair of pliers instead of a proper sized wrench. It will get the job done, but you may not like the results.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Thanks for all the advice guys... its always much appreciated.

Well here is a pic of my first starter :)

P1010004.jpg

Back