Pumbaa is making more friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ok as I said in the first Pumbaa amking firends post I have wierd **** like that happen to me all the time. This is an incident I had happen at work the other day (Sunday 21 Jan 07) . . .

So I'm at work today (working a 48 hour shift) and we got about 4-5 inches of snow. Sometimes I refer to Wisconsin as "The Great White North" and since we got the snow today it seemed very fitting to use that reference today.

We'll since I am working overtime I'm not with my normal crew and one of the guys I work with seemed to take offense at the term "Great White North" and went running to one of the other Lieutents to complain about it.

Just a little back ground info here . . . about 2-3 months ago I offended a balck female on the job by saying "**** Diversity". She didnt seem to understand what I ment by it and didnt bother to stick around to hear me to go on to say "I dont care what color you are, who you ****, who you do or dont pray to, or any of that other bull****. All I want is to work with the best and most qualified, and if that means I have to work with nothing but a bunch of Martians so be it"

OK back to the point . . . We'll the guy who complained to just happens to be very close friends with the female I ofended and wanted to bring me up on charges. About 8 O'clock this evening the other LT comes and lets me know whats going on and says we should all discuss this in the kitchen to see if we can resolve the issue. OK I can play this game, infact I'm getting pretty damn good at it. I tell the other LT I'll be more then ready to discuss this at 9PM. If this time frame suits the guy complaining let me know and it's a go. Well about 10 minutes later I'm informed he doesnt feel comfortable discussing this without a Batalion Chief present. Well surprize surprize the BC on duty today just happens to be very good friends with the offended female from a couple months prior and is also VERY active in the "International Association of Black Professional Firefighters" . . . I tell the other boss thats fine, call the chief down and let me know when everyone is ready.

Well the BC shows up at 9PM and I am called to the kitchen. Most of the shift is sort of hovering around to see the fireworks . . . I dont know if they expect me to explode or if they are waiting to see the complainer and the BC tear me apart. Well things start and the complainer tells his side of the story and how he felt like his role in the fire house and the local community was being disrespected by the phrase "Great White North". The BC then tells me how he will not tolerate racial intolerance in his batalion of any sort and if I dont satisfactorly explain what I ment and then justify why I said it he would make it his passion to see me brought up on charges and convicted of said charges.

I start by telling the complaining fireman and the BC I dont need to explain myself to them, I absolutely refuse to apologize, and that if they feel that I am racially intolerent to bring me up on the charges, but, just to satisfy their desire I'll make an attempt. I walk over to the window and open the blinds. I ask the BC, the other LT, and the comlaining firemen what they see. They respond with a parking lot, airport, street lights, cars, etc. I then ask them "Well what do you see on the parking lot, airport, street lights and cars?" There was a short pause before the BC looked at me puzzeled and asked me what I ment by that. I repeated my question. The BC paused for a moment and looked at me again and said "Snow?"

I stood there and replied "Snow . . . Welcome to The Great White North. I'll sign those charges whenever you have them ready, Thank You" and walked away to the laughter of of the rest of the shift and the other LT

WTF do they find these ****ing morons?

I know where your coming from. SWMBO works for the local authority and the words black and white are dirty words. It's a load of crap. They are colours for god sake nothing more, nothing less.

It's the prick do gooders that are screwing it up.

SWMBO is no longer allowed to ask for black coffee. It's got to be coffee no milk!

Sh*t man... That is too funny. I know exactly how you feel. If there was just one normal person for every ten chuckleheads out there, the world would be a better place.

God, where do i go with this.

It frustrates me to no end hearing stuff like this.

It would seem to me that there are people in this world that go out of there way to find conflict, and then some of those that try to profit from it. I could just see that person sueing the fire dept or the city due to what they thought was "implied" by "great white north" if they hadnt actually figured it out.

We have a local morning show that constantly refers to people as "this black dude" or "that white chick" and actually when they first started doing it i was like, wow, uhhhh, hmmmmmmm. Kind of made my uncomfortable, but now i realize it is no big deal. If they were dropping the "N" bomb, now that is a different subject all together.

Wow - glad I've never been in the military. Having to act like I have even the smallest amount of respect for any idiot that happens to have more stripes on his shirt than I do would drive me f'n nuts.

Pumbaa,
You ought to play a little game if the opportunity presents itself but it might take some planning. Have a bunch of saltines about and when said individual notices them, makes comment about all the crackers around, spin around, act offended, walk off and talk to your superiors. Makes about the same amount of sense.

:mug:

desertBrew said:
Pumbaa,
You ought to play a little game if the opportunity presents itself but it might take some planning. Have a bunch of saltines about and when said individual notices them, makes comment about all the crackers around, spin around, act offended, walk off and talk to your superiors. Makes about the same amount of sense.

Holy sh*t people. There shouldn't be this much comedy when I am trying to drink my beer.

Pumbaa, man, I read your first "making friends" story 3 times this afternoon and laughed my a$$ off each time. But since telling the chickie to go shave her pits wasn't really much of an addition to the thread, I didn't post and I just enjoyed it to myself.

This one is much the same way, but man I had to chime in. Good Job! :mug: I can't believe having to put up with that crap. I'd say bring the A-hole up on your own complaint for targeting YOU with some kind of hate crap, but that just lowers you to his stupidity level, and in the end why even go there? (And for some moron WHO LIVES IN WISCONSIN to take the "Great White North" any other way, friends and neighbors, IS a MORON)

Cheers Man! :mug:

Ize

Reminds me, Russians refer to "collapsed substellar objects". I'm really surprised we still get away with calling them black holes.

The ridiculousness posing as common sense in this country today never ceases to amaze, and apparently the fever has spread world wide...

Surprised it's not called an "Invisible Hole".

(insert your own joke HERE) :D

Ize

desertBrew said:
Pumbaa,

Actually I sort of did something simular to that last few times I had to work with the female that tried to get me on the F*** Diversity thing. Normally everyday I work all he guys working throw in $10 a peice then one guy takes the moeny goes to the store buys food and cooks. The last 2 times she has been working I carry (provide my own meals) . . .
I can eat 2 loaves of wonder bread in 1 day and then I drink nothing but white milk . . .
Did I ever mention I'm very lactose intolerent?

Yeah only a true sick f*** would torture himself like that just to make a point. . .
The guys said it took 2 days to air out the firehouse. . .

In an online game I played years ago I referred to the Great White North. Got the same response, and IIRC it was from a bunch of Europeans.

Political Correctness run amok.

Ask them what's more racist: Saying "Great White North" or the fact that MLK day is celebrated by taking a day off of work?

I'm sick of apologizing for being white. My family showed up from Ireland in the early 1900's, AFTER slavery was illegal. And many African American's showed up to America from the Carribbean islands or Africa or Europe AFTER slavery was outlawed.

Slavery is over. Done. Dead issue. No one I'm related to owned any slaves, and I can prove it.

Wow. What a typical over-reaction in today's politically correct bullsh*t "professional" society.

My opinions on race issues are much the same as Cheese's. I'll just leave it at that to avoid a political rant.

Sorry you have to deal with that kind of crap at work, Pumbaa.

I know this is a sensitive topic, and obviously the woman in Pumbaa's case overreacted, but there is no denying there is still inequality in America.

Take the following quiz and answer yes or no. This is a quiz I've taken which has led me to reflect on my place in this country as a white male.

Mythbusting Homework:
1. Can you…

— …arrange to be in the company of people of your race most of the time?

— …be pretty sure of your ability to rent or purchase housing in an area where you can afford and in which you would want to live should you want or need to move?

— …be pretty sure that your neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to you?

— …turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of your race widely represented?

— …be sure that your children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race?

— …choose public accommodation without fearing that people of your race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places you have chosen?

— …be sure that if you need legal or medical help, your race will not work against you?.

— …choose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match your skin?

— …swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of your race?

— …do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit your race?

— …criticize our government and talk about how much you fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider?

— …be pretty sure that if you ask to talk to the "person in charge", you will be facing a person of your race?

— …worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking?

[source: Peggy McIntosh, White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack ]

ok lock or remove this thread it's going in a direction thats going to make me break out the duct tape helemt . . .

On second thought . . . .

1. Can you…

— …arrange to be in the company of people of your race most of the time?
Why should someones race matter? Would you feel awkward or out of place if they weren't of your race?

— …be pretty sure of your ability to rent or purchase housing in an area where you can afford and in which you would want to live should you want or need to move?
No, I have children

— …be pretty sure that your neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to you?
If they wouldnt be why would you want to live there in the first place?

— …turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of your race widely represented?
I'm going to assume you mean black here so I'll say I havent seen a all white network yet, but I go right past BET all the time, but over all I honestly wouldn't care either way

— …be sure that your children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race?
. . . ok, need to find that duct tape helemt. My child gets 1 day a year when everyone wants to be Irish, a month would be nice

— …choose public accommodation without fearing that people of your race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places you have chosen?
You never saw the old "Irish need not apply" signs have you

— …be sure that if you need legal or medical help, your race will not work against you?.
Oh you really want me to start in on this? I defy you to show me ONE incident in recent history where someone has been denied medical treatment based on race in this country. And not being able to get legal help? Again show me one example in RECENT history where it happened. I'm sure the NAACP would love to see it as well

— …choose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match your skin?
no- cant ever find pasty white or orange bandages (orange for the summer I dont tan)

— …swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of your race?
I guess you might have a point here but those people are morons. On the other hand if I dress up like a cop and acted like a cop I wouldnt be shocked if people thought I was a cop

— …do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit your race?
when/if you succed dont make race, religion, sex or sexual preference an issue

— …criticize our government and talk about how much you fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider?
I'm a libertarian, everyone seens me as a "cultural outsider" when it comes to government. The right says I'm a left wing nut job, the left says I'm a conservative facist

— …be pretty sure that if you ask to talk to the "person in charge", you will be facing a person of your race?
never think about it and dont really care. My Captain is white, My Battalion chief is black, My assistane chief is black, my Chief of the Deaprtment is white. The thing is they have all come up through the same promotional avenue I am currently advancing in so I respect them for who they are and the positiosn they hold, not because of their race

— …worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking?
I dont worry about it because i refuse to participate in it

If you spend more time worrying about what someone else may or may not do to you you will never have enuff time to do anything yourself . . . and that was said by my asian wife to my black niece in an Irish house
:mad:

On a related note, when I was in college a buddy of mine casually remarked on how much work he had to do in his classes and how he needed to 'keep on top of things.'

Well, a female in the group took offense to his statement claiming that metaphorically it represented a man being in a dominant sexual position over a female. I remarked, "Really? In a man's head we see a pile of shlt that we need to keep on top of or we'll drown under it's crushing weight."

Sometimes I think people are from other planets.:drunk:

Here's something that almost caused me to pack up and move to Alaska a few years ago. I was at the courthouse in Pumbaa's fine city and I happened to pick up a "Community" newspaper. On the front page was an article which was very similar to the following:

[FONT=Arial,Verdana]Although not taught in American learning institutions and literature, it is noted in most Black history professional circles and literature that the origin of the term "picnic" derives from the acts of lynching African-Americans. The word "picnic" is rooted from the whole theme of "Pick A ******." This is where individuals would "pic" a Black person to lynch and make this into a family gathering. There would be music and a "picnic." ("Nic" being the white acronym for "******.") Scenes of this were depicted in the movie "Rosewood." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana]We should choose to use the word "barbecue" or "outing" instead of the word "picnic."
[/FONT]

Now, I try as much as possible to not be an idiot, so I thought to myself "this can't be true, can it?" So I walked up to the law library in the courthouse and consulted the dictionary there. You know, one of those huge unabridged Webster's jobs from about 1908 that they have opened up on a stand in libraries? Well, what do you know, I looked up the etymology of "picnic" and, surprise, surprise, here is what I found:

[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1] Etymology: G or French; German Picknick, from French pique-nique. Date: 1748[/SIZE][/FONT]

Gee whiz! You mean it's actually derived from a French word back in 1748? It seems so. In fact, the newspaper article I saw is an Urban Myth which can be easily found all over the internet. The word picnic had nothing to do whatsoever with lynching blacks (or anyone else for that matter).

Unfortunately, I am sure many people believe this Urban Myth to be true. I would be willing to bet about two cases of my best homebrew efforts that there aren't too many "picnics" held by government agencies or employers in Milwaukee or any other largish cities in the U.S. I suspect they are all called "outings" or something else other than picnics.

The sad fact is that common sense is no longer common here.

Pumbaa said:
no- cant ever find pasty white or orange bandages (orange for the summer I dont tan)

LMFAO!

Okay pasty white boy!:D

Wait.. why am I making fun.. they don't come pastier than me..

Puumba- Maybe you should just tell the Fire Dept to blow you and go off and write children's books. The Puumba Makes Friends series would be a hit! I could see a cartoon and some action figures coming out of this deal!

That'd be cute seeing a bunch of little kids wearing duct tape hemets for story time!

Orpheus said:
LMFAO!

Okay pasty white boy!:D

Wait.. why am I making fun.. they don't come pastier than me..

Well, if you'd stop search for gay p0rn for five minutes and get some sunlight, you might not be so pasty :D

I once offended a girl by talking about African-Americans. You see, the girl in my presence was from Jamaica and she felt it was insulting to lump her in with people from Africa just based upon the color of her skin.

I thought about it and came to the conclusion that she was right! I now choose my words carefully. When talking about people with very dark skin, I call them "black". I reserve the term "African-American" for people who I know are from Africa.

I mean, how would the average European-American like to be called an "Australian-American"? What? What's wrong with that? Aren't all white people from Australia? Ummm no.

I've come to the conclusion that you can't please everybody. The best you can hope for is to either be correct, or else become a smarter and better man for the experience.

Toot said:
I reserve the term "African-American" for people who I know are from Africa.

What if they were born and raised in South Africa OR are Egypt, they aint black but they are African.

I had a friend I used to play Everquest with that was going to school at ASU (on a student visa) that got in HUGE trouble because when they asked about his race he said African . . . born and raised in South Africa, family had been there for as long as anyone could tell . . . and was whiter then me (and I'm of Irish decent in Wisconsin . . . thats pretty F'ing white . . . glow in the dark white in Febuary)

A guy who used to come into my bar was as white as can be, but he was born and raised in Zimbabwe. He considered himself to be African. He had two catch phrases: Tschilamoya, which was a Zulu word that meant something like "to beat against the wind" and Zakanaka, which was from a different tribal language and meant "as good as it gets." He would get wasted and say that sh*t over and over again. Definitely not an American.

Back