Heat Stick and Electricity Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I have searched all over the forums and read a tons and am thinking of building a heat stick for my small brew system.

I currently make 2.5 gallon batches and start boiling with 3.25 gallons normally. I want to create a heat stick but have some very basic questions.

1) What watt heating element can I use with not having to do anything at all to my service in my apartment? I rent a side of a duplex and cannot do anything to the wiring.

2) What watt would be good to bring 3.25 gallons to a boil? (I know I will grow it eventually to 5+ gallons but then I will probably boil with propane and use the stick to assist and heat sparge and strike water)

3) Can I hook a dimmer switch up to it to effect how much electricity runs to it and how much heat it produces?

4) What other heat regulating is available with a heat stick?

What is any danger along with this? This would be my first electrical DIY setup so a little nervous about it.

If I use a GCFI outlet (plan on using one of the portable ones) does that take care of any electrocution fear? Like if the sealing fails after a little bit and water gets into it?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Jeff

I have searched all over the forums and read a tons and am thinking of building a heat stick for my small brew system.

I currently make 2.5 gallon batches and start boiling with 3.25 gallons normally. I want to create a heat stick but have some very basic questions.

1) What watt heating element can I use with not having to do anything at all to my service in my apartment? I rent a side of a duplex and cannot do anything to the wiring. 1500W

2) What watt would be good to bring 3.25 gallons to a boil? (I know I will grow it eventually to 5+ gallons but then I will probably boil with propane and use the stick to assist and heat sparge and strike water) 2500W, or use 1500W to assist the stove

3) Can I hook a dimmer switch up to it to effect how much electricity runs to it and how much heat it produces? easy answer, no

4) What other heat regulating is available with a heat stick? PWM or PID

What is any danger along with this? This would be my first electrical DIY setup so a little nervous about it. electrocution

If I use a GCFI outlet (plan on using one of the portable ones) does that take care of any electrocution fear? Like if the sealing fails after a little bit and water gets into it? you will still get knocked to the floor, just short of dying perhaps

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Jeff

Hope this helps

In theory, a GFCI will cut the current before you ever feel it. Most of the time, it works like that. Most of the time...

Once, while camping, I was working on some of those "camping Christmas lights". Well, one of the bulbs was cracked and the element contacted the aluminum camping table. So, the connection went from the power pole GFCI outlet, through the camper, through an extension cord to the string of lights.

The GFCI tripped, but due to the capacitive effect of all that wiring, I still got a good jolt. Not enough to knock me down, but enough to see stars.

:drunk:

Hmm, electrocution is not my idea of fun...will this bring the ability to be electrocuted to zero?

Put it in the boil pot submerged, then plug it into the GCFI, then plug that into the wall and never touch the heat stick while it is plugged in.

I am sure I will get more confortable with it over time but want to be as safe as possible...

Thanks,
Jeff

I mean, as long as you do not contact anything that the cord or element come into contact with, you really couldnt get electrocuted.

Hmm, electrocution is not my idea of fun...will this bring the ability to be electrocuted to zero?

Put it in the boil pot submerged, then plug it into the GCFI, then plug that into the wall and never touch the heat stick while it is plugged in.

I am sure I will get more confortable with it over time but want to be as safe as possible...

Thanks,
Jeff

Anything can fail. Plus, everybody has to die of something.

That being said, you are pretty darn safe with a GFCI.

Hmm,

Is this considered a safe electric way to do it? I am not sure why I am so worried about it, lots of people use it and I just have to be safe and make sure everything is working...

Is there an alternative to this? Isnt an electric keggle the same thing just built into the kettle or is this something different? Is that just as dangerous as this?

Any other electric ways of boiling the wort?

Thanks for all the help already...

Jeff

You can use an electic stove element to heat the bottle of the boiling vessel.

It will not be in the liquid, at least. There was a thread a while back where someone was trying that.

Back