Empty White Labs vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
Does anyone know, are white labs vials autoclavable? I would imagine that they are, but am not sure. I would like to save the empties for future yeast storage. I was hoping to also pull some yeast off the cake and replace what was in the vial to use next time.

I seriously doubt that they're autoclavable. They're just the blanks for making 2 liter soda bottles.

I just soak mine in StarSan.

I fill anywhere from 3-5 vials from each batch for reuse later.

Do you just scoop right of the yeast cake or do you wash the yeast first? I was thinking about just scooping off the cake with a sanitized spoon or dunking the vial right in after sanitizing it.

I am guessing you just store in refridge. Do you add any boiled water? Or wort?

i really doubt polyethelene melts at 250F, therefor autoclaveability exists.

That is what I figured. I was not sure what they were made out of. I figured I would start using them and save them to culture yeast in the future.

Do you just scoop right of the yeast cake or do you wash the yeast first? I was thinking about just scooping off the cake with a sanitized spoon or dunking the vial right in after sanitizing it.

I am guessing you just store in refridge. Do you add any boiled water? Or wort?
I wash my yeast first.

(In the beginning) I used to just add the slurry to the vials then realized that there was live beer in there which continues to ferment (slightly). The added fermentation builds up a lot of pressure that's released when you unscrew the cap.

Back