Is there any real difference between capped and corked bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
I have been looking for a difference in capped vs. corked bottles.

Besides the shear beauty of a corked bottle. They are nice!!

Any one have taste tests between the two? Storage of big Belgians or funky beers with corks benefit from micro oxidation? Is is worth the money and storage of yet more beer stuff? (YES!! What am I thinking?!)

I am really just looking for a reason to buy a floor corker and a basket of corks!

Thanks,

BW

yea it just sounds like your looking for an excuse to buy a corker and corks.

aside from the shape of the neck and mouth of the bottles all the corked bottles i've seen are green. green bottles don't block UV rays as good as brown ones do. this can skunk your beer. but if you find brown corked bottles go for it. bottle half in them and half in the capped bottles and see what happens.

I say do it. I have about 4 cases of 750ml bottles that I have been saving to do the exact same thing. Fortunatly a friend of mine has the corker and caging tool. I just need to pick up the corks and cages. I have been working on a FLanders Red and another belgian sour for about 1.5 years now and they will be going into those bottles.

Finding the bottles should be easy, just keep the ones that you drink the beer out of. There are tons of breweries out there now using the brown 750ml bottles.

Back