Backup Plan..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
I pitched Wyeast #1762 (Belgian Abbey II) Friday night into my fourth batch of beer (Phat Tyre, Amber Ale). I've usually had good start times with the smack packs (activity within 12-18 hours). I only used one pack this time (lower gravity), and it didn't expand as well as the others. Now it's been almost 48 hours with no visible sings of activity (no release of CO2 in blowoff tube, no krausen, no foam).

<b>I'm going to wait out the 72 hour rule, but I need a backup plan in case of failure</b>. I have a pack of dry yeast leftover from my previous beer (a RIS), Safale S-04 Ale Yeast. But, I have no idea what may result if I mix yeast strains or use this particular yeast for my amber ale.

Thoughts?

If the yeast you pitched hasn't got going then the Safale yeast will not have much competition.

BTW 72 hours isn't a rule. It's just a figure to show that most brews will get going if left.

If the yeast you pitched hasn't got going then the Safale yeast will not have much competition.

BTW 72 hours isn't a rule. It's just a figure to show that most brews will get going if left.

Aside from competition- what about the use of this strain in a Amber Ale? Is it a good "all around" handy yeast to use or is it pretty specialized?

Back