Cider on an old yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineexampl

Reaction score
So here's the deal i have. I made a 1gal test batch beer and it's fermenting. In my fridge i have half gallon each of sweet and tart apple cider. When i transfer the beer to the secondary, would it work to ferment the cider right on top of the old yeast cake? or is this not possible? i'm still noob status here, so i could be way off.

edit: as i posted this i read alot of similar threads in the links below. So, this is totally doable i take it? Cool.

in the primary: quinoa/barley/spelt heavily hopped ale (my own design) on Windsor yeast.

I've been interested in using quinoa in a brew of my own as I've become interested in partial-mashes as of late; let us know how it turns out.

I've pitched new batches of both beer and/or cider onto once used yeast cakes and have had excellent results. After using yeast for 2 batches of brew I tend to wash the yeast as per directions found on HBT and I'll often make 2-3 starters from the washed yeast I've collected. This makes it possible to use a Wyeast sachet for 5 different brews! That's just as cheap as buying crappy dry yeast each time, but with much better results.

Back