Keezer Temperature Controller Without Changing Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif

Reaction score
I'm starting to build a keezer with the remnants of my dearly departed Oster 5.0. My goal with this one is to keep everyone done in such a way that if something goes wrong, I can quickly revert the thing back to factory status and get warranty coverage from the manufacturer. I figure with a collar, this won't be too difficult. The real issue is the temperature controller. From the look of it, only the Johnson appears to be of a sort that doesn't require you to tap into the freezer's wiring, with just an in-line plug. Can other temperature controllers be wired in a way to bypass the freezer thermostat (just leaving it on full blast) so I don't have to cut any wires in there?

Any of the controllers can be used as a plug and play solution. I think the Ranco and the Johnson are the best setup for this. They are very easy to wire into an extension cord, and you simply plug the freezer into the controlled cord.

I don't understand what you are worried about going wrong? The collar design is very easy and looks good. I would go with that.

Oh I'm for sure doing the collar, I just didn't know that any of the controllers could be wired as "plug and play." You just wire it up to a regular AC cord?

Instead of wiring the compressor across the switch of the temperature controller, you wire a cord across that switch of the temperature controller with a female end, then put your fridge on a cold setting equal to or below where you'll want it, and plug the fridge into that plug. You'll need a plug of course with the male end that supplies power to the controller to plug into the wall.

All it's doing it cutting power to the entire fridge (as if you unplugged it from a wall) when the temp is met by opening the contacts of that switch you wired your female plug to, as apposed to to it just cutting power to the compressor. The only advantage wiring direct has is any lighting will still work at all times where as you're desired method cuts power to lighting as well when the compressor is not running.

Hi guys, I'm just getting set up to build a "keezer" here in the UK. does anyone have advice on getting a temperature controller that will work with UK mains voltage? There seem to be a lot of US 110v units out there but I'v not found an obvious 230v one.

Apologies if this is obvious and I've just missed it!

Latest posts

Back