Bell's Hopslam sucks - sorry Bell's :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
first let me say i dig Bell's beers. can't say any of them were ever undrinkable, and can't say any were bad, and i probably had 8-9 of their beers. Best Brown is the bomb!! Well, tonight, i broke down and actually paid the $18 + tax for a 6 of Hopslam. First, let me tell ya' i am pretty much a hophead and IPA r my fav. i just couldn't get over the strong alcohol bite to this one, it busted right though, what seemed to be some Chinook. I am going to keep one for a few months and maybe it will mellow out, but man, worst $$ ever spent on a beer like that. i have had many $8.99 6'ers that are smoother and have more flavor, aroma and bitterness that Hopslam. Batch was 8911, which, according to website, was packaged on 01/20. not sure how long aged at brewery, but not long enough in my book. What has been your experience with Hopslam??

A lot of these specialty brewer just have to sell too early. /they get caught in a Catch 22. Hold on until its truly ready for drinking and the brewer die with carrting costs or let the beer go a month or two early and hope it tke two months to hit the consumser's mouth.

I went through the same thing with Iron Hill. A freind brought me three 22ers The first we drank that day and they were soy sauce mixed with flat cola mixed grain alcohol. Nasty. A month later I tried the third and it was well-conditioned and the flavors had all melded perfectly. The fusel had mellowed and were strictly warm undertones.

I'm not in any way impressed with any of bell's offerings. The brown is the best, but for the most part everything is "eh..". And I can brew that myself without any thought.(and when I do it all goes down the drain.) So... they are on the no buy list.

Hopslam and Expedition are my favorites. You may have gotten an off batch or something. We went through a sixpack at the recent Central Veeyay Brewdown, and it was universally hailed as awesome, awesome beer. I think it could use some more pure hop flavor and aroma, but other than that, it's a great beer. I went to a Bell's Beer dinner a couple years back and wasn't impressed with a lot of their "regular" offerings, though. The Oberon and the 2-hearted just seem watery and limp-wristed to me. The Brown isn't bad, but the Amber is just boring.

If you want good bell's, go to bell's...everything is truly amazing on tap. Best 2-hearted I ever had was there at the cafe. They even had a 10% brown ale at the time which was awesome. I've had this years hopslam on tap at a local bar and I don't like it as much as last years. It's a little thinner and not as complex. I always reserve final judgement on a beer after having it atleast 2 different times...preferrably at least once on tap. Even 2 bottles out of the same case can taste different on different days.

I'm not in any way impressed with any of bell's offerings. The brown is the best, but for the most part everything is "eh..". And I can brew that myself without any thought.(and when I do it all goes down the drain.) So... they are on the no buy list.

I don't believe you at all. No offense, but there is no way in hell you brew beer better than one of the recognized best brewers in the United States... This kind of statement just gives false hope to any new brewers who may be lurking.

To the OP, there is a massive difference between bad beer and beer you don't like. Hopslam is incredible. Whether you like it or not. I think it is the most impressive hop bomb around. The ridiculous amount of hops they put in there and the degree of balance they achieve is awesome. This is one of the better US beers out there IMO. It isn't always my favorite, but it is one of the best.

Oberon and Two are both session beers. You have to take them in that light... and for what they are, I have a hard time finding better.

One of the best beers I have EVER had (literally) was a Sparkling ale on tap at my local pub when I lived in the city. Awesome night, incredible beer. Although sometimes in the bottle it isn't my fav... time and place I suppose.

Two Hearted is my go-to session beer, and I have a love of Hopslam. Hopslam is a nice IIPA. Not my favorite style, but probably my favorite of the IIPAs out there.

I think Hopslam is great but I would prefer a double IPA to be more bitter and less sweet. It is far from the worst in this regard.

It isn't a particularly harsh double IPA though, so I don't really understand that criticism.

As for Bell's pushing this beer out before it is ready, come on seriously? The beer has been on shelves over a month. How stale do you people like your beer?

While I don't think Hopslam is bad in any way, I was a little underwhelmed when I tried it. I was expecting to be blown away with hop flavor and aroma, but it just didn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer. It's just not what I was expected for the name and price.

For a hop fix, I'd take a Ruination over Hopslam every time.

Oberon and Two are both session beers.
It's a strange world we live in when a 7% abv American IPA is considered a session beer.

Hopslam is pretty good when fresh, but it is by no means a top shelf IIPA. I had one that was about 6 months old right after a fresh Pliny the Elder and I couldn't even finish it, far too heavy and syrupy. But I had one on draft about a month ago at a local bar and it was really nice, so drink fresh or don't drink at all. But be warned, they put something in that beer that makes people black out. Everyone I know who has had more than 3 in an evening has their own story about "that hopslam night".

I love Hopslam personally. It's not my favorite IIPA but it's seriously a great beer. One of the things that I really love about it is how with the honey addition, it kind of has it's own unique flavor besides just a blasting of hops.

A little diversion: if you see Southern Tier's Gemini blended IIPA anywhere, get it. If you see it on TAP anywhere (like I did), park your ass on the barstool and don't leave until either the tap is dry or they boot your drunk ass out to the curb. One of the best hoppy beers I have ever ever had. I'm starting to drool right now just thinking about the aroma...

body_gemini%2022oz%20bottle_low.jpg

Hopslam is a great IIPA. Good bitterness and flavor, nice aroma. I don't think it has much of an alcohol kick at all, which is good because I don't like that in beers. I can't drink DFH 120 because it's close to vodka than it is beer.

I love Hopslam! A friend told me about it and he's a huge hophead. I'm not saying it's my favorite, but a nice change once in a while. Kind of expensive IMO, but all beers of that type are. I've yet to sample Ruination, so I'll still hold off on the favorite beer moniker, but it's def one of my top three. I love Founder's Fresh Hop Harvest Ale. Great hop flavor, but not as high ABV I think.

At one time I was a NOT a hophead. Over that past few years I've evolved.

Oh, also wanted to say that living so close to Bells has given me the ability to sample a good number of their beers and I've thought that every one I've tried has been pretty good. I didn't always care for the particular style each time, but they pretty much been done right. Oberon took me a second try to like, but like most things, wheat beers didn't come to my palate right away. I think it could have been the food I ate that day with it.

Evan, is it better than their Unearthed? I had that last week and like it.

I had a btl of the unearthly and was less than impressed. Lacked intensity. Which is why the gemini, which is a blend of the unearthly and the hoppe, surprised me so much. So yeah, MUCH better than the unearthly.

I had a btl of the unearthly and was less than impressed. Lacked intensity. Which is why the gemini, which is a blend of the unearthly and the hoppe, surprised me so much. So yeah, MUCH better than the unearthly.

Awesome. I'll look for it tonight!

I don't believe you at all. No offense, but there is no way in hell you brew beer better than one of the recognized best brewers in the United States... This kind of statement just gives false hope to any new brewers who may be lurking.

To the OP, there is a massive difference between bad beer and beer you don't like. Hopslam is incredible. Whether you like it or not. I think it is the most impressive hop bomb around. The ridiculous amount of hops they put in there and the degree of balance they achieve is awesome. This is one of the better US beers out there IMO. It isn't always my favorite, but it is one of the best.

I'm not saying that mine are better than theirs.. But that all of them I have tried are boring. I don't like boring beers enough to buy them. I however can make a boring beer. We don't get the high gravity stuff down here though.

Oberon got me into beer. When I moved to the south and couldn't get Bells, I started homebrewing. I still love a nice wheat beer while grilling in the summer time.

+1 on what dontman said - those big hoppy beers get sold before their prime, I think. I LOVE DFH60 and was dying to try the 90, so my brother and I went in on a case. I thought it was barely drinkable. Way too strong and "bitey." I was talking about it at my LHBS and the consensus was to let it age a while and try again. After sitting a month, it had mellowed somewhat. It still was not to my taste but it was better. But strongly alcoholic beers are liable to have a lot more bite than the stuff we usually brew up.

Another point to consider is whether it is known if the OP's IIPA was actually stored in proper conditions. Buying a sixer in a grocery store is convenient but they could be light-struck. For all we ***** in PA about having to either buy take out in delis or bars, or buy full cases in distributors, you pretty much can rely on proper storage of cases. That's where I buy all mine, when I buy any.

I find it interesting how other perceive the same beer very differently.
First I found HopSlam to be very good but not great. It was on the drier side of an IIPA (but definitely not the driest) but the 6er I had did not have the strong hop flavor and aroma I expected. I did not find it overly sweet or harsh.

Three Hearted was on the big side of IPA and probably too sweet however there was plenty of hops in the aroma and flavor to balance it well for me. I would never call this beer watered down. I like my IPAs a little sweeter so this was perfect, however if you are one who really likes IPAs dry and all about the hops it may not be your thing. It was definitely not a session beer.

Oberon is alot closer to a session beer, but is definitely more of a crowd pleaser style with subdued flavors. Not something I care for but most micro-breweries have something like this to be the volume leader.

Not saying other opinions are wrong, this is just what I thought of the beers.

Craig

I also live in the west michigan area and have had a wide variety of bell's offerings. They make a decent beer, but I have found that the hype (especially for oberon) usually is much greater than the quality of their product. There are so many other great breweries in michigan that make great beer of which I consistently go for over bells.

I'm not saying that mine are better than theirs.. But that all of them I have tried are boring. I don't like boring beers enough to buy them. I however can make a boring beer. We don't get the high gravity stuff down here though.

You're entitled to your opinion and to be wrong. Maybe you didn't like the wheat experiment, or Oberon but I don't think you'll find a lot of support for calling Best Brown, 2-Hearted or Hopslam boring.
Then again, different strokes for different folks.

wow - never when i started this thread last night i would expect so much response. i am sitting here drinking some Racer # 5, which, even though it tastes old compared to tapped ones i had recently (had this on tap in san diego in mid - oct and again at barleys a few weeks ago) is way more bitter, aroma and flavor hopped than the hopslam. and yes, the alcohol flavor in the bottles i drank shot right through the the hops. def not aged well enough as other pointed out. sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but that is just my take one it. everyone's tongue is different, so to each his own, i just wont be pissin' my money away on something that is not great in my opinion. sure not good for a $20 6'er :rockin::rockin:

Better than Hopslam IPA's(ish) beers I drank in last 6 months:(feel free to add)
southern tier hop sun
southern tier uber sun
souther tier unearthly
southern tier ipa
breckenridge small batch (147??) IIPA
bear republic racer # 5
columus brewing co IPA
coronado island IPA -- my fav!!!!!!
stone ruination ipa
great divide titan ipa
my clone of southern tier hop sun
troegs hopback
troegs nigget nector
three floyds gumball head
i could go on and on.........

let me focus the "alcohol" flavor i was tasting. it definitely seemed to be fusel alcohol taste. Same alcohol "bite" i got from my 9% pumpkin ale when it was a month old (fermented at 60F). i am sure it will get better with age, but damn, for the price, i was expecting to be overwhelmed with bitterness, but was left with wimpiness!! :rockin::rockin:

Actually we do get the high gravity stuff down here now, Friar Tucks carries (or carried as of 3 days ago) the Third Coast old ale (a great old ale, but i like the old stock from North Coast better), HopSlam, and the Expedition Stout (which is great now, and even better with some age on it).

I have not checked out Sunsinger or the Neil St. Piccadilly, but Urbana Champaign is again stocked with great beers from Bells.

Cheers!

Actually we do get the high gravity stuff down here now, Friar Tucks carries (or carried as of 3 days ago) the Third Coast old ale (a great old ale, but i like the old stock from North Coast better), HopSlam, and the Expedition Stout (which is great now, and even better with some age on it).

I have not checked out Sunsinger or the Neil St. Piccadilly, but Urbana Champaign is again stocked with great beers from Bells.

Cheers!

I was unaware those were high gravity, but yes I know we carry them.. I work there. And maybe that's the problem, I've had a majority of the beers we carry.. so it takes a damn fine beer to excite me. And since some do, I buy those. I mean we try beer almost every day... so if you don't really have something to offer, it just gets lumped in with the rest.

But that all of them I have tried are boring. I don't like boring beers enough to buy them. I however can make a boring beer.

I would have to agree. Two hearted is in my opinion the most over rated IPA out there.

Back to point I enjoyed HopSlam comma it didn't knock my socks off but it was a decent beer.

I grew up in Michigan and Bell's was always a local favorite. Their brown ale, amber ale, porter and cream stout were ahead of their time. I'm not a hop head so some of their beers don't appeal to me. Hopslam and Two Hearted are probably my least favorite brews.

But be warned, they put something in that beer that makes people black out. Everyone I know who has had more than 3 in an evening has their own story about "that hopslam night".

It's probably the honey, some people have terrible hangovers from mead and the like the first few times they have them.

All the same, how would people think that they can get away with having more than 3 10% ABV beers in one night? Of course you're going to have a bad hangover.

wow - never when i started this thread last night i would expect so much response. i am sitting here drinking some Racer # 5, which, even though it tastes old compared to tapped ones i had recently (had this on tap in san diego in mid - oct and again at barleys a few weeks ago) is way more bitter, aroma and flavor hopped than the hopslam.

Sorry but Racer 5 isn't a very good IPA in my opinion. Too west coast, too unbalanced. When I tasted it in Ohio, it was all hops, no malt. I like balance in my IPAs and IIPAs, so I love Hopslam.

Back