Brew kettle: with or without ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to get a 10 gallon kettle for full boils and I'm trying to decide whether or not to get one with a spiggot. How hard are they to clean - does boiling the wort effectively sterilize/sanitize them? How necessary are they?

Thanks

I have a weldless ball valve on mine and I haven't had an issue with sanitizing. I can't imagine not having a valve - it's a necessity.

Heck yes get the valve!!! I can't say it saves a lot of time, but it is definitely much much nicer.... sort of a big luxury....

Racking canes melt unless you use metal. The metal ones get hot to the touch. They also sway around, tending to pick up sediment from the bottom. Racking canes are smooth, requiring a really tight tubing around it which is difficult to get off and clean, or a loose fitting tube that will tend to suck in air unless you use a circular clamp on it... which now means you need a screwdriver on brew day... Oh and don't forget, you'll need to start the siphon...

Sure, none of those are big problems... just a few more little things to deal with. And frankly, for me, it was some of the most annoying things on brew day. I hated starting the siphons, I always had a problem with racking canes sucking in air where they meet the tubing. I cracked one plastic racking cane when tightening a clamp and I melted another one before going to the metal ones which get really hot to the touch.

But with the valve, you just attach a barbed fitting, and you're set forever... just stick the hose on there and start draining the wort from an inch or so above the trub.... perfect every time! No messing with racking canes and siphons...

OK I ordered the MegaPot with valve in the 10 gallon size.
I have a chiller/pump and now I just need a propane burner.

The question could have been rephrased as should I compress my vertebrae and rupture a few discs or should I get a brewpot with a bulkhead drain? I suppose the other option is to chill in place and rack off, but the truth is, there's nothing like the convenience of opening a valve instead of picking it up and pouring.

The question could have been rephrased as should I compress my vertebrae and rupture a few discs or should I get a brewpot with a bulkhead drain? I suppose the other option is to chill in place and rack off, but the truth is, there's nothing like the convenience of opening a valve instead of picking it up and pouring.

This post doesn't make any sense.

he is referring to using a counter flow, i imagine.

Read it again, it makes perfect sense.

"chill in place and rack off, but the truth is, there's nothing like the convenience of opening a valve instead of picking it up and pouring."

Translated, after you finish boiling, cool it however you want to without moving the pot. Then siphon into your bucket or carboy. But nothing is easier than opening a valve and letting it puke out on its own without any extra work.
Does that make sense now?

Read it again, it makes perfect sense.

"chill in place and rack off, but the truth is, there's nothing like the convenience of opening a valve instead of picking it up and pouring."

Translated, after you finish boiling, cool it however you want to without moving the pot. Then siphon into your bucket or carboy. But nothing is easier than opening a valve and letting it puke out on its own without any extra work.
Does that make sense now?

i didnt say it didnt make sense? regardless....good luck to the OP!

This is confusing because you state a dichotomy, then you acknowledge a third option, and then you go back to the dichotomy and seem to forget the third option. You seem to state the inconvenience of picking up the pot and pouring as a reason not to siphon.

This is confusing because you state a dichotomy, then you acknowledge a third option, and then you go back to the dichotomy and seem to forget the third option. You seem to state the inconvenience of picking up the pot and pouring as a reason not to siphon.

Ok, I think everyone gets it. I don't think your approach is going to make many friends here.

Everyone note, my post was incoherent. I hereby withdraw any advice on this topic.

Ok, I think everyone gets it. I don't think your approach is going to make many friends here.

Everyone note, my post was incoherent. I hereby withdraw any advice on this topic.

Since I understood your post, will you pay me to be your interpreter?

BTW I hate it when people get all technical and use words like dichotomy instead of just using layman's terms, it's more confusing than reading one of Bobby_M's posts. :drunk:

I'm thinking of adding a ball valve to a 64L stockpot so I can do 10 gallon batches.
After I've cooled the wort in the kettle, do I have to have a screen installed when draining? What about all the trub/cold break, etc?

Back