Anyone ever brewed an 11% Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy brewed a 12% saison aged on oak. I tried it at a year old. Came across more like a tripel than a saison to me. Reminded me of Golden Delicious from Capt Lawrence minus the calvados.

My buddy brewed a 12% saison aged on oak. I tried it at a year old. Came across more like a tripel than a saison to me. Reminded me of Golden Delicious from Capt Lawrence minus the calvados.

so, not what I'm going for at all but thanks for the info. After I tested the OG, I freaked out a bit. The issue is that I've had very poor efficiency lately so I beefed up my grain bill to account for this and suddenly, GREAT efficiency (79% efficiency versus 50% in the last few batches. (my mill setting was off).

So, I'm probably just going to let this one sit in the fermenter for 6 months.

I currently have an Imperial kiwi saison in the fermenter right now. Should end up being about 12%(Making it for a local extreme beer fest). Used 3711 and wlp655 for yeasts. Its currently sitting right around 10.5% and its damn tasty.

I currently have an Imperial kiwi saison in the fermenter right now. Should end up being about 12%(Making it for a local extreme beer fest). Used 3711 and wlp655 for yeasts. Its currently sitting right around 10.5% and its damn tasty.

Good to know. Did the Kiwi come through well? What was teh volume of fruit if you don't mind me asking?

I'll just have to try this beer once per month to see how it's doing. I'm just thinking that I should expect to wait a while which is fine..I have enough beer as it is laying around.

Good to know. Did the Kiwi come through well? What was teh volume of fruit if you don't mind me asking?

I'll just have to try this beer once per month to see how it's doing. I'm just thinking that I should expect to wait a while which is fine..I have enough beer as it is laying around.

TBH, the kiwi has not yet been added, and I think we are going to do extract/syrup vs actual kiwis. Not entirely sure yet, its still got a week or so till Im going to add anything so I have time to figure it out.

Back