I'm getting really confused.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade_The_Raw

Reaction score
I just got a 15 gal keg I am turning into a kettle, I have 2 10 gal coolers. What else do I need aside from wort chiller and all that,

I just puzzled myself, big time.

I got a boil kettle and 2 coolers,

Dont I need 2 kettles and only 1 cooler? AUHG! '

Or can I use my boil kettle as a HL tank too? and only have 2 things a kettle and a cooler for the mash?

Depends on what your goal is. I have been using one kettle and one cooler for about two years now and it works great.
Are you trying to build a single tier with pumps? Three tier system with no pumps? I have seen some people on here use a cooler with a heating element and use that as a HLT. So yes if you turn one of them into the HLT with a heating element it could work.

I just got a 15 gal keg I am turning into a kettle, I have 2 10 gal coolers. What else do I need aside from wort chiller and all that,

I just puzzled myself, big time.

I got a boil kettle and 2 coolers,

Dont I need 2 kettles and only 1 cooler? AUHG! '

Or can I use my boil kettle as a HL tank too? and only have 2 things a kettle and a cooler for the mash?

Don't worry! I had two coolers and a boil kettle for a number of years, and the second cooler worked great for me as an HLT. Take a deep breath, and repeat after me, "This is not rocket science"!

All you absolutely need is a kettle large enough to hold all the liquid and a paint strainer bag to put the grain in so it is easy to separate after the mash. Anything else is just bling. :p

Back