How will this turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
After reading https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/firs...ng-pics-90132/, I want to try an all grain. I walked thru the local HBS tasting different grains and came up with this.

Does anyone see a problem with this recipe?

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
10 lbs. English Amber Malt
1 oz. Goldings (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.5 oz. Cascade (Whole, 8.7 %AA) boiled 0 minutes.
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham

I definitely wouldn't want to stifle creativity, but you really do want to enjoy a sense of accomplishment after that first all grain brew, and I highly, HIGHLY suggest you stick with a forgiving, tried-and-true recipe for your first all grain recipe.

I suspect you might be disappointed in the end result of your recipe. First, 2 lbs of chocolate malt is a LOT for any recipe. Second, 10 lbs of amber malt will be unbearable. It has a VERY distinctive flavour that gets overpowering very quickly.

I suggest that you aim to learn from subtle experimentation first -- that way you can begin to understand how different ingredients contribute to the overall flavour of your beer. Also, if you do make a mistake, it won't be a horribly bad mistake and your beer will still be drinkable. As you gain more confidence, then get more bold.

Just my $.02. :mug:

I definitely wouldn't want to stifle creativity, but you really do want to enjoy a sense of accomplishment after that first all grain brew, and I highly, HIGHLY suggest you stick with a forgiving, tried-and-true recipe for your first all grain recipe.

I suspect you might be disappointed in the end result of your recipe. First, 2 lbs of chocolate malt is a LOT for any recipe. Second, 10 lbs of amber malt will be unbearable. It has a VERY distinctive flavour that gets overpowering very quickly.

I suggest that you aim to learn from subtle experimentation first -- that way you can begin to understand how different ingredients contribute to the overall flavour of your beer. Also, if you do make a mistake, it won't be a horribly bad mistake and your beer will still be drinkable. As you gain more confidence, then get more bold.

Just my $.02. :mug:

I will surely drink it. I like OE.

I was sort of hoping that you would drink it AND enjoy it!

I swear I have never made a better tasting beer than my first all grain batch. I would hate to see you robbed of that sense of personal gratification. :)

I was sort of hoping that you would drink it AND enjoy it!

I swear I have never made a better tasting beer than my first all grain batch. I would hate to see you robbed of that sense of personal gratification. :)

I like dark, malty beers where the hops in not over-powering. For example, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is about as hoppy as I like.

What style of beer was your first? Have you posted the recipe? Could I check it out?

I suggest that you aim to learn from subtle experimentation first -- that way you can begin to understand how different ingredients contribute to the overall flavour of your beer.

Subtle experimentation, thy name is single-malt and single-hop brewing! Two of the three best beers I've made were SMaSH recipes, and indeed, some of the best beers I've ever tasted.

Ten pounds of pale ale malt, two ounces of medium-alpha hops, and a pack of dry yeast is a great place to start the path to beervana.:D

I like dark, malty beers where the hops in not over-powering. For example, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is about as hoppy as I like.

What style of beer was your first? Have you posted the recipe? Could I check it out?
Me too - those are still my favourite styles, although I do crave a hop-bomb every now and then (or a big Belgian).

Anyways, this was my first all grain brew, directly from Beersmith, I think. Given your preferences, you might like it too:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: English County FWHfb
Brewer: Steve Nicholls
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Special or Best Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0) Liquid gold. This is a beer with a wonderful malt profile and the superb taste and bite of Goldings hops. The yeast used adds a complexity of fruity flavours right to the last drop. Pick a water style similar to an English bitter. Not too much sulphate.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 14.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.5 SRM) Grain 84.11 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (15.0 SRM) Grain 9.35 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.67 %
0.20 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.87 %
1.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (60 min) (FiHops 30.5 IBU
0.60 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.10 %] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU

Beersmith says to do a single infusion at 149, but I believe I did it at 152 which turned out really nice. I also used Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast.

I'd go with it. It's a lot of chocolate and amber malt, but it should come off like an English porter prior to the creation of black patent malt. You may need to let it age for a little to mellow.

Back