A Quick Sparge Water Temp Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I do single-infusion mashes in a converted cooler. Normally, I mash out with a relatively small amount out boiling water to bring the mash up to 180 F and then sparge. I'm doing an IPA with an OG way higher than I usually do (1.085) and the amount of boiling water needed to mash out approximately equals my sparge water. So my question is: how can I calculate the temperature my sparge water should be in order to get the drained grainbed up to 180? Thanks!

I was just mashing out to get the grainbed up to 180 degrees F. Then I heated my sparge water to 180 degrees F.

Yeah, but by how much?

BeerSmith offers the user an, "Adjust Mash Temperature" worksheet. You set it up inputting your current mash grain weights, temperatures and water volume and then inputting the temp you want the mash to get to. BeerSmith will then tell you how much water at what temperature to get to your overall target.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just go with 185-190 F until I figure out the equations. The missing link is the heat capacity of grain. John Palmer uses a constant (0.2) that I think incorporates the heat capacities of both water and grain, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I think I can come up with a useful equation, even if only by trial and error.

The heat capacity of the water is great enough that it makes the grain capacity almost (notice I said almost - no flames please) inconsequential.

so for a simple calculation:
mash at 60Celsius = 5 (assumption) liters and sparge wants to be at say 70 Celsius = 10 liters. Total volume 15 liters:

60x5+10xH=15x70 where H is the temp of your sparge water. So H=75Celsius

etc.

Equations work but system experience is better. For the longest time I was heating up the water to 180 thinking that was doing the trick, but when I actually checked the temperature in my mash, I was barely getting above 160. For me 190+ degree water is the key.

BTW thanks to Bobby M and Kaiser (and me actually paying attention to what they said) my efficiency in my last two batches has been at 70% because of using this method. I am actually confident enough now to figure my recipes at 70% efficiency, vice the 63% I was using before.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just go with 185-190 F until I figure out the equations. The missing link is the heat capacity of grain. John Palmer uses a constant (0.2) that I think incorporates the heat capacities of both water and grain, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I think I can come up with a useful equation, even if only by trial and error.

Beersmith is 20 bucks and a great program, for brew, prep, brew day, and monitoring long after fermentation. A nice auto log book.

Best $55 I spent in Homebrewing
$20 - Membership here
$20 - Beersmith
$15 - Autosiphon

Back