aluminum budlight bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Can you reuse the aluminum budlight bottles? I thought a I seen a picture around here where they were being cleaned or something. After seeing I remembered that I have an empty 15 pack of these out in the garage.

Would they leave a tinny taste since they are being reused??

Thanks,
fishnfever

Thanks for the info!! I have a bench press in the attic aswell!! So there is no no chance of a tinny taste??

fishnfever

Yuri_Rage said:
I use 'em all the time. They're great.

Did you sand off the finish, and paint on fresh colors? Or just scuff up, and paint over the old (anodized?) finish?

AlmostSiR said:
Did you sand off the finish, and paint on fresh colors? Or just scuff up, and paint over the old (anodized?) finish?
Just for grins, I sandblasted and powder coated one of them. It looks fantastic, but I doubt I'll do many more that way. Mostly, I just recap them with the existing label graphics. I've been wanting to try using sodium hydroxide (lye) to chemically strip the finish, though I'm not certain that it's a true anodized finish, so the NaOH may not work. Others have had success polishing them with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper.

I myeslf have wondered what the finish is. I've searched all over the internet, and found nada. The company that produces the bottles was also very tightlipped about the finish.

Back