Patersbier - Over hopped. Should I dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent77

Reaction score
Brewed my second Patersbier kit from Northern Brewer this morning. The first batch was great so I bought two more kits. Today's brew tasted a little bitter after the boil.

It hit me tonight that the dang kit came with a one ounce packs of each, bittering and aroma hops. The instructions call for a half ounce of each.

In a stupid streak, I used the whole packet of each. Double the required hops. I am so annoyed at myself.

Should I dump the batch and just do another? How awful do you think it will be?

I was in a hurry and have trouble with NB instructions on good days. Burns me to have wasted scarce free time, propane, and money by such a dumb mistake!

It will definitely be more hoppy than intended ~46ibus instead of ~23ibus (according to beersmith).
But I definitely don't understand why you would even consider dumping it... It'll just be different beer. Definitely not a bad thing. Just a learning experience, and maybe it will be awesome.

Textbook first stages of hop addiction, you're just in denial about your "mistake".

If that scares you, then stop now. Otherwise I think it'll be a great beer. The hops will fade with time as well.

If you're set on fixing it, since you bought two kits you can make the next one with less hops and then blend the two at bottling. But taste it first to see if it's great as it is.

lol

Thanks for the replies. I don't have enough experience to know it'll be like. Double hops in a light beer seemed potentially awful.

I don't have the hops addiction. At least I don't think so. Yet anyway. heh heh

Guess I'll just keg it and drink it. It's beer. I'll like it.

Thanks again for the advice!

Cheers,
Paul

If I boiled up an unhopped batch and blended it with the over hopped batch, should the blend end up being 23 IBU's as intended? Or is that oversimplifying it all.

If not hopping, there'd be no reason to boil for an hour, right?

Yes, the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma should halve when you blend them. A 15 minute boil would be fine, to sanitize and dissolve the extract, but make sure you've got your volume calculations right. Besides isomerizing the hop acids, the full length boil is more important for all grain brewing since it lets you sparge a greater amount and get more extract from the mash. In the case of extract brewing, it's not a concern. It's up to you if you want to add fresh flavor and aroma hops if that's what you're going for, but a Patersbier should be a yeast-forward style, the hops are there just for balance.

Thanks for the helpful summary. I wasn't sure what'd be missed without full extract boil.

Adding any fresh flavor/aroma hops would be a wild guess for me. The first batch has only been fermenting for a week, so the hop effects are still fresh I guess. If I boiled a non-hopped batch today, the blending would happen in two or three weeks from today. Maybe the doubled flavor/aroma hops that are in the first batch are strong enough without any more added to the second batch. I'm trying for what the kit was originally intended to be like, nothing adventurous.

I'm not brew-mature enough yet to have creativity, artistic talent, or courage enough to make up my own ideas. That'll probably happen after I've made a bunch more batches. What can I say.... slow bloomer. These days I'm working on not screwing up.

Every batch I screw something up. Always something different. Even so, not a single batch has been bad beer. Every danged one of them was beer I'd rather drink than commercial beer. Feeling pretty high about that. I'm hoping I can pull this Patersbier back from the brink, too.

Thank you all for the patient help!

I hada dark ipa turn out over hopped. Let it sit an extra month and its mellowed out quite lot. If its too hoppy at first, give it more time

Yeah, I'm sure it'd be fine with time and wouldn't be so bad a beer even. It's just that I made it for my main summer lawn mower beer, I'm nearly out of lawn mower beer, and I'm not a fan of hoppy/bitter beer. IPA's ain't my bag.

For bitter and tongue attacks, I turn to bourbon. :cross:

Simple man, simple dreams.

Back