Gluten Free American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash_Mathew

Reaction score
After being put off American citrusy hops thanks to my first few appalling brews with cascade as I was learning, I decided to at least try a different American hop just so that I wasn't being closed minded. I skimmed around the 'normal' section and found people going crazy for "Zombie Dust". I like Zombies, I like beer. So I thought I would use the hop schedule and make my own attempt. Here is how it worked out. It is a full Imperial 5 gallon batch. I didn't take the gravity because I can't honestly be bothered, but brewpal says it should be about 5.5%. With 64ibu.

Temp 55/130 depending on which you use

2lb Crystal Buckwheat
2lb Malted Roasted Buckwheat
250g Flaked Millet
1.5kg Brown Sugar
2lb Golden Syrup

Yeast Safale S-04

All Citra Hop
1oz 60 mins
1oz 20 mins
0.5oz 15 mins
1oz 10 mins
0.5oz 5 mins
1oz dry hop for 7 days

Going to bottle it in a minute, so here is a picture of its colour. It smells and tastes amazing. Still a little hop haze from the dry hop though. Just a shame I don't have the real thing for a comparison.

image-148755591.jpg

You mean citra hop right? Think the malt backbone will hold up to that much hop?

The haze most likely won't completely leave. Buckwheat has way more insoluble protein than barely. As a result, your beers will almost always have chill haze.

Looks good. Keep the updates coming in.

Yeah, sorry. Stupid Auto correct... The first ones I used was Cascade and it put me off. But after Citra, I think I would be up for trying them again. :) A bit went on my hand and it made them smell like orange peel. It was amazing. Then you get the maltiness behind. It's slightly caramel like due to the crystal. It's really nice.

Nearly all of my beers usually clear very well before I even bottle them, and mostly in the primary. It was even clear before I dry hopped. Probably due to the amylase I add to them. I have read that dry hopping can give it a haze... Hopefully it will clear more in the bottle.

Will definitely keep you updated. Once it's carbed properly in a few weeks I will post a picture of it.

Here is a picture so far. Still not fully carbed. Still not fully cleared. But going to leave it another few weeks to clear properly. Tastes really nice. The hops have become less harsh and some maltier notes are coming through. I can tell you one thing, it goes well with a Ribeye Steak. Be nice chilled, and will be even better when I get my kegerrator up and running for the next time I make it. Clear it with finnings, carb it. Drink it. :)

image-2975614703.jpg

image-3611903391.jpg

image-3342385722.jpg

Back