Cleaning bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new brewer and I am about to bottle my first batch. I have a big collection of crud free bottles already. I usually soak them in oxyclean to de-label and clean them. I know they need to be sanitized now. I did a batch in my dishwasher this morning, but they smell like chlorine now. What does everyone else do to not have smelly bottles? Star San rinse? Help!

Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, then Star-san, then DON'T rinse.

Next time just Oxyclean rinse well and Star-san. I would avoid the diswasher. My $.02.

i always sanitize in the dishwasher on the pots/pans cycle, NO detergent, just steamy hot water and a high temp dry. let cool, star san rinse with my vinator, then bottle away merrily.

I do oxiclean overnight, rinse, then dishwasher with no detergent. Star san and back into the dishwasher rack just to have somewhere to hold them while I bottle. I set my bottling bucket on the counter directly above the dishwasher, keep the dishwasher door open, pull up a chair and bottle away. I pull the bottles out of the dishwasher rack as I go and the dishwasher door catches any drips.

Have fun!!

Back