Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about a candidate for my 4th batch, and I was thinking about a Kolsch. I honestly hadn't even heard of this type of beer before I started brewing, so I guess it's for curiosity's sake.

Is there anything you could compare it to? All I know is that it's a German ale, and the LHBS has a kit for it that uses barley and wheat extract. Any feedback is helpful before I give it a go.

i may be wrong here...but a Kolsch is like a Pilsner, just the ale version. Its an easy way to "immitate" a lager if you cant lager a beer. They are usually pretty light/golden/yellow color and smooth/easy drinking, has less of a bit then a pilsner. Great summer drinking beer....go for it.

I have heard a lot of people try brewing a Kolsch but I think the success is varied. But, yeah it is like a pilsner. Even though it is an ale, it still needs a cold secondary, check the temps.

I love Kolsch. It is a nice light and refreshing summer brew. Don't expect any giant hops flavor or bitterness though. The beer is kind of boring in comparison to some of the styles out there.

If you have a big liquor store you find some comerical stuff (craft brews), the only actual German one I have seen is Reissdorf. Some of the micro brew will call it summer ale or even pale ale. You just need to read the fine print or ask.

I have an AHB Reissdorf clone conditioning right now, should be ready just in time to cool me off this summer!!! - Dirk

I've done a Kolsch before and my girlfreind is dong a partial mash version of my recipe, with a few tweaks, this Saturday. It's a perfect summer beer, so the timing is right to make this German ale! I can post her recipe if you like.

Here are the BJCP guidelines.

Great-thanks for all the feedback. I wasn't sure if it was known by any other names, and this makes sense that it'd be known as a 'summer ale' etc.

I've done two Kolsch All grains.

My SWMBO's favorite beer. She is a Miller lite Drinker.

The upside is that it is much like a light Pilsner in color and mellow taste.

The downside is that Kolsch requires longer and cooler conditioning than most ales.

I conditioned mine in a keg for three weeks (after 2 weeks in the secondary) out in the garage in February. I kept it at around 40-45 degrees for that time.

Turned out great.

My second batch I replaced the vienna malt with honey malt and the flavor was a bit more crisp...something I wanted.

If you're doing an all-grain, I'll post a recipe for you.

If it is at all possible, try the Reissdorf Kolsch. This was the beer that introduced me to the style, I have to have some during summer.

I just kegged my Kölsch. It finished out dry at 1.008. Fermented 2 weeks at 67 degrees, then crash cooled for another 2 weeks. It's an AHS recipe. WoW! This stuff is tasty. Even SWMBO was impressed by the hydrometer jar taste. It's the first time I drank my whole hydrometer jar. Pretty simple.

6.5# Pils
2.5# Wheat
1 oz. Perle at 60 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnang at 15
1/2 oz. Tettnang at 5
WLP029 Kölsch Yeast

Man, I'm glad I made a big starter and saved 3 more brew sessions of yeast. I'm gonna make these and stock up for summer.

I'm making this for my BIL's wedding. Fairly cheap and looks like a nice easy summer beer. Good for noobs. If you don't have a means to chill a fermenter, you can bottle lager this after the fact for 6 weeks or whatever you can manage.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1611.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/specialtybeers.html - At the very bottom...

Get your self one of these too. - My BIL doesn't own any beer glasses, drinks only from the bottle. Sound like a baby, huh? So I bought two these sippy cups for him. :D

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/aying-weizen-glass-cropped.jpg

:mug:

Back