yeast starter stepping question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHaught

Reaction score
I'm making a starter of wyeast 1056 using a 2 litre erlingmeyer flask and a single pack. Based on the pitching rate calculator i'd need a 4 liter starter. If I decant my starter after a day or so and feed them another 2 liters of wort will I get the same effect as using a 4 liter starter?

No, its not the same because the concentration of yeast is different which effects the growth. A 4 L starter will net you about 250 billion cells (no stir plate and assuming you start with ~100 billion) whereas 2L to 2 L will net you about 300 billion (same assumptions as before).

Yes, that's overkill because a 2 L starter with stir plate will get you about 300 billion cells. This is why I got a stir plate because it reduces the need to step up a starter.

So would it get me in the range I want to be in if I decant the 2 litre starter and add back about 1 litre of wort to buff them up a little more or should I just pitch the 2 litre starter I've already got and call it good? Is it worth anything in results to try to get that extra 50 or so billion cells?

That should get you about 250 billion, but of course this all depends on the viability of your yeast. I don't know what your expected OG is and how fresh your yeast is. I always try to pitch within 10% of the calculated cell count.

Yes, that's overkill because a 2 L starter with stir plate will get you about 300 billion cells. This is why I got a stir plate because it reduces the need to step up a starter.

Ok...so that's over kill for an ale...but i've VERY frequently heard to pitch twice as much for a lager. This technique would work great for my oktoberfest, wouldn't it?

Ok, I was assuming you were referring to an ale. For a lager, that should work just fine.

Sweet thanks sjbeerman. I had a very strong feeling it would, but its always good to hear someone else say so too

I was thinking I would do this twice. Make the original starter, then do this twice (because i'm brewing 10 gallons of lager) and splitting the starter between 2 5 gallon batches. I'm thinking that I should have enough yeast then

Back