Brew-in-a-Bag Brew Kettle Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I'm just finishing up my 8th batch of extract kits, and would like to move to all grain with the brew-in-a-bag method. Anyway, I currently have a 16 quart pot and need to move up. Thought I'd go ahead with a 15 gallon pot in case I want to do 10 gallon batches down the road. Any pros/cons to the pot below from AHS? Anyone own one? Any better suggestions around the $300.00 range?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_463&products_id=12894

I'm sure its a nice pot, 15 gallon would be a great size or 5 gal. batches. I use a 10 gallon kettle and it gets pretty full at about 15lb of grain. I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to spend almost $300.00 on a pot. I'm using a 10 gallon kettle that I picked up at an outlet for about $70 and added a ball valve to for about $30.00.

Go as big as you can....I recommend a 20 gallon pot if possible. If I were in the market, I'd get an SPS-80 or SPS-100 :FROM INSTAWARES. They're the exact same pot as the megapot. Then, just put some weldless fittings in right where you want them.

I have a 10 gallon Pot; I like to end up w/about 7 gallons to start the boil. It can get pretty full and to full with the grains; but that's not generally an issue.... I just hold back two gallons and add it after I remove the Bag. You could use that water then as a rinse/sparge water... or not.

Latest posts

Back