Is this going to taste like crap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmesbrewski

Reaction score
"hypothetical recipe"

6.6 lbs pale malt extract
3.3 lbs amber malt extract
2 lbs corn sugar
8 oz cascade dry leaf hops (2 ziplock freezer bags added throughout the whole boil)
white labs CA ale yeast

added to 3.5 gal water to make roughly 6 gallon batch

one week after putting in my primary and it's still "hypothetically" bubbling away :ban:

Whoa, holy cow! Are these extracts LME or DME? I'm figuring LME and punching this into Beersmith says 8.76% ABV. I would've skipped the corn sugar. What kind of beer were you shooting for? And the 8oz of hops... holy bajesus... 8oz!?? What was the boil schedule for them?

I'm afraid... I'm very afraid :D

Rev.

"hypothetical recipe" - I know this is an "all grain" forum, but you guys are the experts. Didn't feel like steeping any grains, and needed my freezer space back, thus the large amount of hops... hypothetically.

2 lbs corn sugar
8 oz cascade dry leaf hops (2 ziplock freezer bags added throughout the whole boil)
white labs CA ale yeast

one week after putting in my primary and it's still "hypothetically" bubbling away

You never know until you try. That ought to get your attention, thats for sure

"hypothetical recipe" - I know this is an "all grain" forum, but you guys are the experts. Didn't feel like steeping any grains, and needed my freezer space back, thus the large amount of hops... hypothetically.

2 lbs corn sugar
white labs CA ale yeast

one week after putting in my primary and it's still "hypothetically" bubbling away

Please don't misuse the forum that way. Posting an extract recipe in the AG forum with a "I know I'm not supposed to but...." is not only a duplication, but a waste of time. First, most of us use the "new posts" button and see all the new posts anyway, and then a busy moderator has to come in and move the duplicate post to the appropriate place anyway. Thanks!

Sorry... new member, and totally ignorant.

Shooting for a knock-you-on-yo-face-IPA ... plus I have about 10 ziplock freezer bags of dried hops in my freezer taking up space, so I'm not worried about "wasting" hops. The boil schedule was pretty much...

2 oz at boil with the malt
2 oz at 30 minute
1 oz at 40
1 oz at 50
1 oz at 55
1 oz at 58

I'm sure it will be hoppy. You certainly used more hops than you needed to to get that effect though.

(although, on further thought, it's not really that unusual an amount of hops - you could probably ditch the 20 minute addition, but the rest actually seems OK, especially given what you were after)

BTW, your hop schedule is formatted opposite of most "standard" recipes (i.e. your 58 minute addition, should be a 2 minute addition, etc.)

Back