Looking for a recipe idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
My lhbs had a sale on DME (the bags were damaged in shipping). Who am I to say no to a deal? Anyways, I now have 5lbs 11oz of Muntons light DME. Anybody care to formulate a recipe that will use all of this up?

I'll have to run back to the lhbs for hops and yeast. So if there are grains or other extracts that are needed, no biggie. I'm open to any style of beer except for IPA.

Thanks for any help. :mug:

Well.... anything, really. Light DME is as generic an ingredient as you can get, you can use that in ANYTHING. You may need a little bit more, depending on how big a recipe you end up doing.

What do you feel like making?

To be honest, I'm not really partial to any specific type of beer. I am wanting to brew another imperial stout in the future. The BB Imp Stout kit was well received by everyone who tried it.

I've got the Brew magazine with 150 clone recipes in it. It seems as though most of them, especially the stouts, are for LME and DME. Most of them also call for less dme than what I have.

I originally picked up this DME for the purpose of a 'cheap' batch. I'm no longer thinking that way though because two of my recent brews were bland (gift brews).

Sooo, how's about a stout or porter that will use up all of this dme? I guess my ramblings helped me narrow it down a bit. :D

Okay, I'm interested in the following recipe. How can I adjust it so that I can use all 5lbs 11 oz of the light dme? Can I just use one 3.3lb can of lme instead of the listed 6lbs?

2.4lbs Muntons Light DME
6lbs Coopers Light LME (late addition)
1 lb 9.5oz Munich Malt
1 lb 2 oz Crystal malt
7.5 oz chocolate malt
10.5oz maple syrup
15 AAU Willamette (60min) 3oz of 5%
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001
.75 cups corn sugar to prime

Also, is there any particular type of maple to look for and/or avoid?

I'm not sold 100% on this recipe but the reviews are decent enough. It is a clone for Imperal Nut Brown by Tommyknocker. This would make a nice replacement for my dimishing supply of RIS. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/156/21166

Back