Auto-Sparge Tube Float material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wickster

Reaction score
For those of you who have the new Auto-Sparge. What is the black float made out of that is on the end of the silicone tubing that makes it float?

I want to apply something like that on my MLT return.

TIA!

Foam is a little vague. is it pipe insulation? Rubber foam. Poly-something foam? I'm hoping someone who has one could tell.

I ended up just e-mailing Blichmann - I'm a little surprised by the reponse but I've never been disappointed with John's products.

FYI -

I just use a closed cell pipe insulation foam. You can probably just buy some at Home Depot….

Sincerely,

John Blichmann

Yeah I'm not sure about that either. But that doesn't mean you can't use it. I was looking at some MSDS sheets for some pipe insulation like he mentioned. It seems very benign. All the hazards were listed as N/A and the some stuff said stable to 220 deg F. It did have some rating/certification for the USDA but I couldn't tell for what. Not sure why/what the USDA would have to do with insulation.

I tried to figure out something like to float my MLT wort-in line in my HERMS. Nothing worked for me (no float) -- and I, too, worried about the food grade issue. I went with loc line (and the frigging loc line pliers). This allows me to reposition the return in any kind of configuration anywhere in my 15 gallon MLT. If I direct it just so along the side of my MLT, I get a nice whirlpool in the mash. I can bend it so it's a half inch above the mash, etc. etc.

Loc line turned out to be (for me) the perfect solution. The special pliers were annoying because I thought I could put together the 1/2" loc line without them -- but it was a lot more difficult than I thought. Bought the pliers for 11$ at mcmaster and the line snapped to in a split second.

I'm planning to figure out a way to swap out the spout tip (used for recirculation) with a sparge head.

Back