Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loxnar

Reaction score
So i just got to drink my dunkelweizen...had never heard of this type of hef before but the guy at the LHBS said it was like a chocolate hef and i was like man that sounds pretty good. Now being that i have never tried a dunkelweizen before i dont know what flavor profile it should have. My first impression does have some nice chocolate flavors to it but my only beef about it is that is has a pretty citrus like after taste. I know some tannins can produce citrus like flavors but i am not sure if this after taste is suppossed to be present or not. It tastes pretty good just to me the after taste is really citrusy...the beer is also pretty green 2 weeks in primary and only a week in the keg.....ill post the recipe below if you guys could give me some feedback of what its flavor profile should be it would be much appreciate...ive brewed quite a few beers so far and this is the first one im questioning if i messed something up..

Dunkelweizen

Steeping Grains steeped at 160 for 30 minutes
1/2lb Caramunich
1/4lb Pale Chocolate
1/4lb Carafa Special II

Malt
6lb bavarain Wheat DME

Hops
1oz Vanguard bittering 60minutes

Whirlfoc at 20 minutes

recipe called for safbrew T-58 but i used White Labs Hef Ale WLP300

esimated OG is 1.050-1.052 and i hit 1.057
pitched yeast at 70 degrees with a 12 hour lagtime
final gravity was 1.014 which gives me an ABV% of 5.63 estimated ABV was 5-5.25
fermented in primary for 13 days at a constant 66-68

after writing this recipe i believe this is the recipe i may have accidently let me grains steep all the way up to 190 for about 5 minutes...im not 100% on this as this was still before my extensive note taking practices that are now in place today =) that could explain the tannins and the citrus flavor...anywho looking forward to some feedback

I bet it's just green. Should mellow out through cold-conditioning. The DW I just racked was in the primary almost 4 weeks. 190 degrees is a little hot for the steeping grains, that could account for some of the taste. But my bet is you'll have a better beer after about 2 more weeks in the keg. I'm not familiar with Vanguard hops, maybe a little citrus flavor there? Although I see they are a substitute for Hallertau.

I bet it's just green. Should mellow out through cold-conditioning. The DW I just racked was in the primary almost 4 weeks. 190 degrees is a little hot for the steeping grains, that could account for some of the taste. But my bet is you'll have a better beer after about 2 more weeks in the keg. I'm not familiar with Vanguard hops, maybe a little citrus flavor there? Although I see they are a substitute for Hallertau.

yea not entirely sure on the hops either was just in the LHBS recipe so i went with it i had never used them either. It has cleaned up some over the last week but last tuesday when i was really getting this flavor was before the beer was carbonated...and as everyone can atest carbonating beer REALLY changes the flavor of it....i doubt it will last another 2 weeks so ill just RDWHAHB =) any other postings about some dunkelweizens and how their flavor profiles have turned out?

and yea i dont like my steeping temperature above 165 specifically to avoid that issue....this particular time was a mistake made with my thermometer and its alarm system...teaches me to walk away for 5 minutes

Back