opal or saphir hop suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
Friend in town who works for a brew supply house brought me a few ounces each of Saphir and Opal Hops. Both are of the German style as much as I have been able to determine so far. Any suggestions? I have Belgian pils malt, marris otter, and two row for bases, as well as a good selection of specialty malts. Thanks for any input. Open to all styles.

I like Saphir and have done a few different beers with them. Currently I have a Pale Ale on tap that that uses them along with Summit. Nice combination.

5 gal batch
Pale Malt 66.7%
Munich Malt 16.7%
Caramunich II Malt 8.3%
Carafoam (or Cara-Pils) 8.3%

Summit .85 oz 60 min
Saphir 2 oz 20 min
Saphir 2 oz 0 min

I have also used them in a Alt in place of Spalt which turned out well. Small amouts for aroma in Pilsners works well too.

I really enjoy saphir. It's great in a saison when blended with EKG, and I really, really like it in an APA or even an IPA with centennial. Of course, I'd assume it's good for most German styles, as well.

I have used it a lot and really enjoy that subdle tangerine-grassy taste. Very good in belgian style beers - wits, triples and blonds. Favourite combo is with NZ pacific jade in triple.

Back