Aging Saaz for Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
The LHBS has a ton of Saaz he ordered that no one seems to want to purchase. It seems I am the only one that buys them regularly.

I was thinking, if I picked them up at a cut rate price -- Should I age them for Lambic.

I've got some unintentionally aged saaz hops that tasted like cheese and meat at first. Now they taste delicious and flowery, if a very tiny bit soapy. This is in a steam beer, very tasty.

I'd say just go for it.

I grind my oldest hop pellets to a fine powder, spread the powder thinly over a large, flat wooden cutting board and then place the cutting board in a warmed but "off" oven for 15 or 20 minutes. The powder then goes in a very thin plastic ziplock bags for indefinite storage until use. Saaz is my preferred hop for this as I buy it in bulk and always have leftovers. Some say that only aged leaf hops are to be used, but I have had good luck with this process.

Back