10 gallon brew in a bag (10 gal BIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cistercian

Reaction score
I did a 10 gallon all grain BIAB last week with a buddy!!! American Stout.

This was my first 10 gal attempt. It worked out well. We used two large bags in a 15 gallon keggle. It was a pain to stir two bags, but it worked.

Efficiency 70% - a little low, but it was my first two-bagger and we lost some wort when we pulled both bags. The colander didn't hold them both and I hadn't thought of that detail beforehand.

I also didn't calculate the water properly. We ended up with 9 gallons OG 1051 Stout instead of something more like 10 gallons of OG 1045 Stout.

Next time I'll think about it more and keep better notes.

I tasted it going into the keg yesterday and it was awesome. Should be great when carbed up.

So, I know this is an old thread, but can anyone comment on how much space is taken up in a 15 gallon kettle when doing a 10 gallon BIAB with a beer like this? How many pounds of grain were used?

So, I know this is an old thread, but can anyone comment on how much space is taken up in a 15 gallon kettle when doing a 10 gallon BIAB with a beer like this? How many pounds of grain were used?

18lbs of 2 row with a mash thickness of 3.02* quarts per pound will require 15.03 gallons of space. I used the 'Can I Mash It' calculator at http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

To get the mash thickness I used this formula:
(((grain in lbs x absorption) + desired preboil volume) x quarts per gallon) / grain in lbs

For this example it looked like this:
(((18 x 0.11) + 11.5) x 4) / 18 = 3.02

18 pounds of 2 row (37 ppg) at 75% efficiency = 1.049 OG

Back