Re-conditioning beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Howya all
First off sorry if this sounds like a noob question but ive been away from all things brewing since last august (nusy with new pub) anyway I brewed & bottled a beer last August.
I let it condition for 4/5 weeks then refrigerated about 10 bottles. I primed with usual priming solution. I tasted the beer after 2wks, I found it not bad but slightly sweet. Will it recondition if I take it out of the fridge? & how long should I chill the others before tasting (they should be better after 6 mths)

If you want anything to happen you have to let the yeast work, and they can't work if they're asleep in the fridge. Take them out and let them warm and after a week give them a shake to re-rouse the yeast once it's gotten loose from the bottom.

As to how long, it will take as long as the yeast needs it to take. There's no silver bullet answer to that. Some beer may take weeks, some may take month.

Sorry Revy I edited the post above to give a proper pic if what happened

Is there a specific type of yeast that works better for bottle conditioning?

I never added yeast for bottle carb, but I've read some belgians recipes that suggest pitching in bottle.
Generally, there should be enough yeast in suspension for proper carbonation, so re-pitching is usually not required.

I wouldn't add yeast to the bottles. Just let them do their thing, take them out like revvy said and let them condition longer. After a few weeks, refrigerate one, let it sit in the fridge 24-48 hours or hell even longer. Take a sample and see if you like it.

Some big beers may wear out the yeast a bit, in which case you can add some champagne yeast when bottling to help ensure proper carbonation. It doesn't take much, and it's easiest to add at the time of bottling, though I've heard of people doing it after the fact in the event that the bottles never carbonate.

IF AND ONLY IF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:

• You added carbonation tabs or sugar to the beer before you bottled it. If so keep reading.
  • The beer sat for at least 2 weeks. If it hasn’t sat for 2 weeks let it sit another and see what happens.
  • The beer was sitting at room temp for the whole time. By room temp I mean it needs to be sitting in the low 70s. If not, it will have to sit for a bit longer.
  • You open the beer and there is barely anything or almost no head.

at room temp, turn the bottles upside down for 3 days. then back right side up for 3 days. fridge for 2 days and try one.

this worked awesome on my undercarbed Belgian. only bummer is that I only had 4 left to do this to.

GrogNerd said:
IF AND ONLY IF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:

[*]You added carbonation tabs or sugar to the beer before you bottled it. If so keep reading.
[*]The beer sat for at least 2 weeks. If it hasn’t sat for 2 weeks let it sit another and see what happens.
[*]The beer was sitting at room temp for the whole time. By room temp I mean it needs to be sitting in the low 70s. If not, it will have to sit for a bit longer.
[*]You open the beer and there is barely anything or almost no head.

at room temp, turn the bottles upside down for 3 days. then back right side up for 3 days. fridge for 2 days and try one.

this worked awesome on my undercarbed Belgian. only bummer is that I only had 4 left to do this to.

Tnx
It's not under carbed just a bit sweet, I've taken them out if the fridge and they're sitting at 20c now. Ill turn then upside down tomorrow and see if the yeast re-suspends. Leave them for a week or 3 and try again, fingers crossed :)

If it's not under-carbed and too sweet you might have an under attenuated beer. If that's the case watch out for bottle bombs... whats the beers style and the OG/FG?

Hopper5000 said:
If it's not under-carbed and too sweet you might have an under attenuated beer. If that's the case watch out for bottle bombs... whats the beers style and the OG/FG?

Bottle bombs shouldn't be a problem as at least 30 of them were left in the 'conditioning spot'
It's the sweetness that I'm not too fond of. As I said I put about 10 in the fridge, which appears to have been too soon & left the rest behind. I since have tried one of the others and it is still slightly sweet but not as much. I've also removed and awakened the yeast in the cooled ones and left them to condition again at room temp for whatever length it takes

Thanks again for the replies

Oh ok, well then looks like your doing the right thing... prolly just the un-fermented priming sugar. Good luck! :)

Back