Adding yeast--lager secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie884

Reaction score
Noonan's book on brewing lager beer recommends adding fermenting yeast when the beer is racked to secondary. The process described calls for unpitched wort to be used along with active yeast from the primary fermenter. I completely forgot to keep any wort from the batch after I pitched for primary.

Would it be possible to make a yeast starter just like pitching for primary and pitch it for the secondary? I would use the same yeast strand as what I used for the initial pitching. I'm concerned about the amount of yeast cells being too large if this is done, as not as many fermentable sugars will be available to the yeast during secondary. I usually use the Activator Wyeast Lab packs (the larger of the two offered). Would it be advisable to pitch directly from an activated Wyeast pack instead of making a starter?

Noonan's book on brewing lager beer recommends adding fermenting yeast when the beer is racked to secondary. The process described calls for unpitched wort to be used along with active yeast from the primary fermenter. I completely forgot to keep any wort from the batch after I pitched for primary.

Would it be possible to make a yeast starter just like pitching for primary and pitch it for the secondary? I would use the same yeast strand as what I used for the initial pitching. I'm concerned about the amount of yeast cells being too large if this is done, as not as many fermentable sugars will be available to the yeast during secondary. I usually use the Activator Wyeast Lab packs (the larger of the two offered). Would it be advisable to pitch directly from an activated Wyeast pack instead of making a starter?

I think you are mis-reading or misinterpreting what is in the book. Adding krausen beer to the secondary is only in the case of an unsatisfactory primary fermentation. You did make a big starter and did not underpitch, right? If you did not and the beer is not fully fermented in the primary I would suggest rousing the yeast and leaving the beer in the primary for another week.
:mug:

Nothing went wrong with the pitching--vigorous starter. While the book states that more yeast is needed when there is poor primary fermentation, it states that the yeast can also be used to smooth out harsher flavors.

Nothing went wrong with the pitching--vigorous starter. While the book states that more yeast is needed when there is poor primary fermentation, it states that the yeast can also be used to smooth out harsher flavors.

Unless there was the aforementioned primary fermentation problem adding yeast to the secondary is totally unnecessary, IMO. There shouldn't be any harsh flavors in your lager at this point and there is still lots of yeast in suspension. Some secondary time and a good lagering period is all you should require now.

Back