Stainless vs. Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUO

Reaction score
So I have a 30 qt. Aluminum pot, but have read that this will give my brew a metallic taste. But in the interest of saving money, is it still ok to use.

Anyone else have experience with aluminum, good or bad? Or at least ok for a the first couple batches. Is stainless steal worth the price right of the bat in setting up my brewing equipment?

Thanks,
BrewUO

Awesome, Thanks guys. I feel a little better now. Good thing I'm drinking a beer.

The important issue with aluminum I.M.O. is that a lot of the cleaners and sanitizers we use will chemically etch the metal, creating little valleys for crap to hide in. Stainless is a much harder metal, and much less prone to this process.

The important issue with aluminum I.M.O. is that a lot of the cleaners and sanitizers we use will chemically etch the metal, creating little valleys for crap to hide in. Stainless is a much harder metal, and much less prone to this process.
But at the same time since you are boiling for an hour or more in the pot that is less of an issue for the brew pot since you are getting it hot enough to kill off the contaminants.

Back