question about sparging with setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm prepping for my first AG batch next week and have a question about my MLT setup and the best sparging technique. I have an MLT (10gal) with a mash/boil screen as seen here (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/654/category/32/). My question is whether I should still do continuous sparging with this setup? The "How to Brew" book says that this type of setup will lead to less than optimal results and that it's best suited for a false bottom setup. Any thoughts on this issue from any experienced brewers out there? Or any resources? Also, does anyone know where I can read a guide or watch a video of someone actually doing the sparging techniques? It's one thing to read it, but another to watch it! Thanks so much! Happy brewing!:mug:

Batch sparge, batch sparge, batch sparge.

Seriously, until you dial in your system and make great beer, you'll be far better off with a batch sparge or two. You'll still get good efficiency, you're less likely to over sparge, and it's a lot faster. Fly sparging is cool, more like the pros, but for the home brewer it's more a next step than a first step... In my opinion, and personal experience.

Also, you would not want to fly sparge with that tube. You need a proper manifold with correct spacing within the mlt.

There are videos all over youtube on both techniques.

I just did my first big all grain a few days ago with the 10 gallon MLT. Im new but in the moment of brew day trying to get everything dialed in I was super glad I batch sparged. I would recommend batch sparging until you really get comfortable with the process because its easy and harder to screw up.

Great advice guys! Thanks! I'll go the batch sparge route until I'm comfortable with it. Hell, if I get good efficiency, no reason to change it. Thanks again! This forum has been so helpful in getting me started!

brantley said:
Great advice guys! Thanks! I'll go the batch sparge route until I'm comfortable with it. Hell, if I get good efficiency, no reason to change it. Thanks again! This forum has been so helpful in getting me started!

+1 about the helpfulness of the forum

I have always fly-sparged, but I was taught by a pro brewer so that's probably why. I get nervous about the idea of batch sparging, and I don't know why.

fly will get you a higher efficiency per pound of grain... plus you do not risk exposing the grain bed to oxygen like in batch sparging. but who care right? i batch sparge for simplicity and space.

Back