raised hops garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicmethod

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a 4'X8'x1' raised garden for my hops. I have 6 rhizomes (2 chinook, 2 mangnum, 2 nugget). My question is, is this a large enough space? I've read you can plant plants closer together in a raised garden but I don't know if that only applies to annuals.

that sounds way too small. i believe the general safety rule is 4-5ft. between each rhizome. i planted 3 rhizomes about 4 ft apart, and i think you could MAYBE get away with 3 ft. but my understanding is that overtime, the roots will clash and intertwine (probably around yr 3). keep in mind this is only from what i have read on here for about 1.5 yrs now.

You would be ok the first year but calibrewin is on the right track. After the first year they'll start to spread and if you don't trim the crowns back, year two you may have some rhizomes beginning to crisscross from different varieties. Get them planted and start working on another bed for next year. Next spring, uproot those beautiful crowns and replant some to the other area.

I should pay for an account so I can up load pictures. My situation is similar to yours and the issues Bhoppy brings up are the issues I live with.

I must trim my plants or they will cross containers and I'll have no idea wahts growing where.

One reason I grow hops is because I love it. As I refine my tastes I will likely pull out rhizomes and allow my go to hops to take over the space. I a few years you may be making the same consideration... I want more of this and don't really need that. Good bye xyz hop.

Material to consider.

you can upload pic's now. Or if u suck with a computer half as bad as I do use photobucket.

Is freezing an issue in raised beds? I have a couple each of four varieties.. I was thinking of building a raised bed for each variety.. each box probably 3' x 5' x 12-16"h... each box being set 2'-3' apart... hardware cloth under each.. filled with square foot gardening method 3 part mix (mels mix)... We get snow and lots of subfreezing temps in the late fall through early-mid spring...

I finally finished them. Separate gardens for each hop variety the ground below the raised gardens is dense clay so I hope they'll be able to establish themselves.

ForumRunner_20110507_121827.jpg

Each one is 2x6x1, about 5 feet between each variety, 3 feet between rhizomes of the same variety.

Very nice. Mine are also in raised beds above clay and doing fantastic. Fill the beds with soft, rich soil to get the hops started. eventually, they we send down tap roots - even in very dense clay.

Back