Simcoe Hops. Recipe Ideas please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
At my last brew club meeting I got a bag of free hops. It was a 3.5 ounce bag of Simcoe Hop Pellets 12.4 AA. I totally forgot I had these in the fridge until this morning when I was searching through my hop selection. So......what to do? Hmmmm....... I really want to try using these. And afterall *free* is a very good price.

I have tried Widmer's Drop Top Ale that uses Simcoe, and it is pretty darn tasty.

Anybody have and good extract or partial mash recipes that call for Simcoe hops? Ideas and suggestions please! Im open to any style of beer except anything that requires lagering. (I don't have the fridge space right now).

:D Thanks
Ed_Savage

I have this recipe in the keg now. Very nice amber ale using simcoe. I couln't find simcoe and I think I used centennial... don't remember for sure.

http://***********/recipe/1319.html

I thought I had seen a recipe for Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPA , which uses a lot of Simcoe, somewhere on the Net. I did a quick search and found this!

Rhoobarb said:
Damn, Sam! That looks tasty as all get-out! I'm saving that recipe. Thanks!

I've heard that this stuff is incredible....at least for us hopheads. It's supposed to have a really piney aroma to it....I dunno if that's from the Simcoe, or what.

This beer is the holy grail for me right now. There's a place about an hour from here that supposedly has it on tap. I'm itching to get out there. In the meantime, I might add this to my brewlist. Simcoe are really hard to find right now, seems to me like.

Sam75 said:
Three words: Pliny the Elder.

Or, double the recipe for Pliny the Younger. :D
Rhoobarb said:
I thought I had seen a recipe for Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPA , which uses a lot of Simcoe, somewhere on the Net. I did a quick search and found this!
:D Wow, the Pliny and the 90 min IPA both look like "Da' Bomb"! I would really love to try those. The problem is, im still a noob. Due to lack of AG equipmet and experience, Im not into all grain yet. Any suggestion on how to convert those recipes to a 5 gallon extract or partial mash recipe? :D

Sam75 said:
"Simcoe are really hard to find right now, seems to me like."
Yeah the hops were donated to our beer club by a local brewery. They told us that Simcoe have been ultra hard to find lately. And that these would be a really rare treat to brew with. So i'm really looking forward to using them.

Kephren said:
I have this recipe in the keg now. Very nice amber ale using simcoe. I couln't find simcoe and I think I used centennial... don't remember for sure.

http://***********/recipe/1319.html

This looks good too. And its an extract. Maybe I'll try something like that. How would I go about building a hopback? The article refers to an earlier issue of BYO "There are many different ways to build a hopback for homebrewing (see our Projects column in the May-June 2005 issue)." I wouldn't think pellets would work in a hopback.

I'll do a quick google search I guess.

Or when Im finished building my keg setup I can get Randallized and build a "Randall The Enamel Animal" pool filter setup! I have had a few Randallized pints at one of my local pubs. HOLY SWEET JEEBUS! Hopheads dream!!

I took a thermos and intalled one spigot in the lid and another near the bottom, then ran it in-line as I siponed the hot wort from the kettle to another container to cool. I filled the thermos with wort first to prevent aeration. It worked pretty well, but it seemed to have a lot of raw hop flavor. Next time, I'll skip the hopback and just add the hops at the end of the boil... or even better, dry hop them.

Early this year I tasted an IPA made with Simcoe and Amarillo hops that was great.
Any decent IPA recipe would work just use the Simcoes and Amarillos for the hops.

I found this handy dandy conversion table. YAY!

Grain to extract

Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. liquid malt extract)

Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. dry malt extract)

Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)

Extract to Grain

Amount of liquid malt extract x 1.23 - amount of pale malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. liquid malt extract x 1.23 = 8.1 lbs. pale malt)

Amount of dry malt extract x 1.45 - amount of pale malt
(example: 5 lbs. dry malt extract x 1.45 = 7.25 lbs. pale malt)

Amount of liquid wheat extract x 1.07 - amount of wheat malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. wheat extract x 1.07 = 7 lbs. wheat malt)

Back