Carboy Won't Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhat

Reaction score
Hey there,

So I got a used carboy and, after multiple washes including an overnight soak in oxiclean and hot water, there's still this grainy stuff in the inside that just won't go away.

picture: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8328/8413537425_7ffec5998b_h.jpg

Was told that it looks like just some caked on krausen and if it's clean I can still use it, but I'm worried.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Use some bleach and let it sit and sit and sit. After a few days use a carboy brush as it should be plenty soft by then, change it out and repeat as needed.

Is that glass or a better bottle carboy? Use a carboy brush on it for a while. I'd try the bleach too, but just be sure to rinse the heck out of it afterward.

If you don't want to use bleach, tsp seems a bit stringer than oxyclean. And one time
I found some sodium hydroxide granules. Those worked really well but I got tired of having to be super careful using them.

...I found some sodium hydroxide granules. Those worked really well but I got tired of having to be super careful using them.
Yeah, no kidding. I would shy away from NaOH or KOH if you could, since most people aren't prepared to handle those kinds of caustic chemicals (and/or treat any resulting burns).

Okay, but the question is, if that doesn't come out, will I be reasonably safe to put a brew in there if I sanitize?

I wouldn't. the granuals in there couple still harbour bacteria in small crevases/pores or something. I would return it if I could...

The grainy stuff is called scale. I too had this problem. An over night soak in a vinegar solution should do the trick.

Yknow what might work, might NOT work, but would more than likely NOT HURT.... denture tablets. We used to use them to scour out musket fouling from the bores of our Springfields.

I'd try a PBW soak, followed by a scrub, followed by an acid wash if anything remains. I'm drawing a blank on a suitable acid. Maybe muriatic? Brush up on your Mol calculations to figure the volume per gallon of water.

Yknow what might work, might NOT work, but would more than likely NOT HURT.... denture tablets. We used to use them to scour out musket fouling from the bores of our Springfields.

Had me curious... MSDS:

CITRIC ACID 77-92-9 20
SODIUM CARBONATE 497-19-8 11
POTASSIUM PEROXYMONOSULFATE 10058-23-8 10
SODIUM PERBORATE MONOHYDRATE 10332-33-9 10
NON-HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS Unassigned 49

Of course you want to wash/rinse/sanitize afterwards... but I would think it would be good at breaking up gunk.

You need something acidic, like to aforementioned vinegar, or CLR, lime-away, coffee pot cleaner, and possibly best of all, Starsan (mix it up a little stronger, like 1 tsp in 2 cup H20 and swirl it around)

It should take all of 1 min. to dissolve the little crystals.

Anything with a basic pH will do nothing, no matter how strong

Actually, base washing glass is extremely effective. Either base or acid, but either way, make sure its at least 3 pH away from neutral to utilize it.

You need something acidic, like to aforementioned vinegar, or CLR, lime-away, coffee pot cleaner, and possibly best of all, Starsan (mix it up a little stronger, like 1 tsp in 2 cup H20 and swirl it around)

It should take all of 1 min. to dissolve the little crystals.

Anything with a basic pH will do nothing, no matter how strong

Agree.
I had several old carboys with this "white stuff" inside. Few minutes with hydrochloric acid does the trick.
Just rinse well after.

I'd try a PBW soak, followed by a scrub, followed by an acid wash if anything remains. I'm drawing a blank on a suitable acid. Maybe muriatic? Brush up on your Mol calculations to figure the volume per gallon of water.

This. I use muriatic acid for quite a few different tasks that involved dissolving solids. Ensure it is sufficiently diluted and use extreme caution using this stuff. Its nasty. Thorough rinsing afterwards and you are good. Its cheap too.
I use it a good bit for cleaning equipment which I use in my saltwater aquarium, as well as lowering the pH in our pool when it was in operation.

I have had stuff like that build up on my carboys and 1gal fermentors. I usually do a very hot oxyclean soak. Then once its cold down i dump a bit out and shake. I keep on shaking till i see thats its fully clean. You might want to try that.

Back