Lager Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
I did a temperature reading in my crawl space and it was a steady 45.6°F, I'm wondering if that's too cold to lager?

nivaguk said:
Way too cold mate you need to be looking at around 64F

I ferment my lagers at 51F and lager at 35F. My lagers only see 64F during a D rest if I need to do one.

I did a temperature reading in my crawl space and it was a steady 45.6°F, I'm wondering if that's too cold to lager?

If your talking about fermenting there then let fermentation start a little then move them there. You'll create enough heat in the FV to make going to the crawl space ok.
But if your talking about 'lagering" (sold storage) after fermentation, then your good.
what yeast did you use?

nivaguk said:

I disagree. I set my keezer's ambient temperature to 46 degrees which gets allows my wort to ferment at 50 degrees.

From what I understand, you should have no problem lagering (cold storage) at 45 degrees. You may just want to tack on an extra week or two.

I was planning on getting the little buggers going upstairs at ~64°F for a few days and then lagering long term at 45.6°F.

No, this is wrong. 64F is closer to an ale yeast temperature range, so not typical for a lager yeast. It depends on the yeast and style but I typically ferment lagers around 50F, do diacetyl rest at about 10 degrees higher than ferm temp (so 60F) then lager at about 10 degrees below ferm temp (so 40F).

I make my lager starters at 46F and pitch into 45F wort, ferment for 2-3 weeks, D-rest and then work down to 32F degrees for lagering. I have done a lot of reading about making starters at room temp or at lager temps, and prefer making them at the same temps that I am fermenting at. So far my lagers have been crystal clear, crisp, and tasty.

Latest posts

Back