Cranberry cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
So for my recipe I am thinking of doing just cranberry juice with So-4 yeast. Then using either real cranberries or concentrate to sweeten/add flavor if nessary in the secondary.

does this sound sensible? I see lots of complicated cranberry recipes so i want to make sure this will be decent.

Also, will i need to spring for the expensive pure cranberry juice or can i get the cheaper stuff with sugar added? Is added vitamin C ok?

Wow, lots of Cranberry ciders going on the forum right now. I've got a pretty simple attempt at it going here, and there's another here.

Your recipe should work fine, and I think you might be just as well off using the cheaper juice. Let us know how it goes.

I make a cranberry version of Ed Wort's Apfelwein and it's really popular. It's the easiest thing in the world to make. Use Ed's recipe but substitute 5 cans of Welch's cranberry juice concentrate for 1/2 gallon of the apple juice. I'm getting constant requests for it and I'm getting ready to start buying the concentrate by the case and store it in the deep freezer.

So for my recipe I am thinking of doing just cranberry juice with So-4 yeast. Then using either real cranberries or concentrate to sweeten/add flavor if nessary in the secondary.

does this sound sensible? I see lots of complicated cranberry recipes so i want to make sure this will be decent.

Also, will i need to spring for the expensive pure cranberry juice or can i get the cheaper stuff with sugar added? Is added vitamin C ok?

I think this is going to be rather tart, might be good after backsweetening though. Let us know how it turns out. Regards, GF.

Alright, I went to safeway to pick up some apple juice, but cranberry was on sale. $4/gallon!!

It is pasteurized, and the ingredients are water, cranberry juice, corn syrup, cran juice concentrate, and vitamin c

do i need to add campden since its pasturized?

Im 99% sure it will work but i just want to make sure before i start it going. Anyone happen to know the Approximate SG with 34g/ 8oz? My friend is using my hydrometer right now. Calculating it should be about 1.0552

I think i may add a lb or so of sugar. That way i can sweeten it with more cranberry juice or concentrate.

I would only sub 1 gallon of apple for cranberry. See how it turns out and go from there.

Have you already made a batch of EdWorts original?

I went ahead and started it. Used a little less then 2 cups of sugar, and S0-4 yeast. why would you recommend only 1 gal cranberry?

Because cranberries taste like satan's anus without sugar. The yeasties will eat all your sugar....

well it should be around 8%, so i could always add some cranberry juice/concentrate to it to sweeten it up a little

I make a cranberry version of Ed Wort's Apfelwein and it's really popular. It's the easiest thing in the world to make. Use Ed's recipe but substitute 5 cans of Welch's cranberry juice concentrate for 1/2 gallon of the apple juice. I'm getting constant requests for it and I'm getting ready to start buying the concentrate by the case and store it in the deep freezer.
Are you saying you use 5 cans of Welch’s plus 4.5 gallons of apple juice to get to 5 gallons?

Thanks.
I’ve got 5 gallons of EdWort’s hard cider sitting in secondary for the last 4 months. Was going to bottle but now wondering if I could add a few cans of frozen cranberry juice in it and let it ferment out again.

Thoughts? Will I end up with rocket fuel?

Wow, this looks amazing. Did you check the gravity during this process? I'm curious to know what the proof was before and after.

Back