Chunky Yeasties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigStone777

Reaction score
As a new guy only been doing this for less than 2 months, naturally i have a lot of questions. Thank you for the help... i bet its nearly as much fun for you as it is for me.

Right now i have 3 small batches going. In my small (5 liter) carboy, i decided to try just plain apple juice unboiled, and with nothing added. I'm using a yeast that i still don't know the name of, but its made by Angel, and used locally for sweet rice wine and rice wine porridge. I don't know what ABV its supposed to finish at, and infact i know very little about it, just that it is the cause of bubbles.

So for several days, my cider has been bubbling quite nicely, and i noticed that the yeast or something seems to have all clumped up into small chunks that look somewhat like oatmeal. In my other 2 carboys, i have seen the same little clumps, but usually just one or two and then they go away. These ones are all at the top, taking up about an inch. If it is yeast, i wonder why it did that... the others also have the same apple juice, same yeast, and same conditions, just they have more ingredients.

Not worried, just interested in learning.

Although I am completely unfamiliar with the type of yeast you're using, what you describe appears to be the result of the yeast's flocculation property - clumping together. All yeast flocculate to some degree - some more so than others.

Back