4th brew: Imperial Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
just bought the ingredients.

Its going to be huge, baby. 7.25% or more ABV, like 2.5 oz or more of hops in the mix...

It's going to bite the toungue, and be as crisp as you can imagine.

I am not such a hop AROMA fan, so I might just boil the aroma and finishing hops for the whole hour. hehehehehehee :evil:

I have a whole closet full of these nice tame 4.5% beers (Kolsh, hefeweizen, Shiner blonde-alike), so now it's time for a real beer.

I asked at the HBS what they had in "men's" that wasn't dark black.

:ban:

The idea of an imperial or double ipa sounds real tasty. I've done some searches for info about the IIPA and i'm not clear on what makes it double or imperial. i'm working on a recipe for an ipa now, what's the difference- moer hops, more fermentables, just more in general?

Have you had Tree Brewing's India Pale? It's super bitter, and pretty strong.

joe s. sausage said:
The idea of an imperial or double ipa sounds real tasty. I've done some searches for info about the IIPA and i'm not clear on what makes it double or imperial. i'm working on a recipe for an ipa now, what's the difference- moer hops, more fermentables, just more in general?

Pretty much. From the guidlines:

IPA: IBU 40-60
OG 1.050-1.075
FG 1.010-1.018
ABV 5-7.5%

IIPA: IBU 60+
OG 1.075+
FG 1.012-1.020
ABV 7.5%+

The SRM are the same for both styles.

Back