Yeasts and temp storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdew4545

Reaction score
I know there are a ton of different yeast strains, but what are the general temp range differences for fermentation for lager and ale yeasts? I'm planning on brewing quite a bit this summer and wont have an over abundance of refrigerated storage, but will have a basement that stays fairly cool (although i dont know the exact temp yet, havent measured). And also, how do you guys store yours: fridge or just room temp?

Your basement will probably be good for ales. Get a few el-cheapo thermometers and leave them in a few places: on the floor, on a higher shelf, etc.

Basements tend not to fluctuate more than a couple degrees night vs day: check different times of day and you'll get a good idea.

I store my beer on the basement floor, which averages around 55 in winter, more like 62-63 in summer. I would say that above 60 is not ideal but it's OK. I suspect that very hoppy styles tend to lose their hop aroma faster stored at these temps than refridgerated.

Back