Fementing In The Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to drain my boil kettle, and to read a hydrometer, so can I just ferment right in my boil kettle?

I figure it will clean up well enough when I boil next time, and I don't want to have to clean it up after fermenting.

:D

I'm going to kick you in the nuts for being lazy, but because you were just pretending to be lazy, I'll just pretend to kick you in the nuts. Or not. I might not be able to stop my foot.

Henry Hill said:
I'm too lazy to drain my boil kettle, and to read a hydrometer, so can I just ferment right in my boil kettle?

I figure it will clean up well enough when I boil next time, and I don't want to have to clean it up after fermenting.

:D

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out! :drunk:

There was someone either on here or brewboard that does it with success. It's basically self sanitized so why not. Throw a lid on and go. The only reason I don't do it is that my fermentation temp control is in the basement. If my garage was temp controlled, I'd do it.

Bobby_M said:
If my garage was temp controlled, I'd do it.

Honestly? Really?

I brew in my garage and my brewfridge is like 3ft from where I boil.....my pot's got a lid...

Would you honestly do this?

the_bird said:
Wait, I was reading this as a joke......

I wrote it as a joke.

I had guessed that saying I was too lazy, and chit, would prompt that hand-to-forehead/head shake reflex that some here get, sometimes.

Apparently Lonnie, the designer of the Brutus 10, added this capability into his system. Apparently he just chills the wort down, pitches, then keeps the lid on and doesn't peek. Not a bad idea, but I guess you'd want to buy a few of the cheaper aluminum kettles for this.

The only thing I'd worry about is hotbreak off-flavors.

Back