How long can beer grains be stored without spoiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfboy

Reaction score
Hello
I am about to get my first 55lb of grains. No doubt I will keep on brewing, but I believe 2 bags of 55lb will last for a year at least.

How long can one store uncrushed malted grains for in a relatively dry, rodent free environment?

Cheers y'all

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

All the sacks I've purchased have had a best before date on them, if yours doesn't you can usually safely figure about a year (keep them as dry as you can). Unless you brew very infrequently I don't think you'll find those sacks will last as long as you think. ;)

Professor Frink said:
If it's kept cool, dry and sealed, I'd say at least a year.
Yep. I'm brewing with 1+ year old grain (best investment I've made all year) and beers are turning out fine. No weevils or bugs either. Keep it dry, cool, & sealed well.

Thanks for all your input
Bradsul, I take it you are from Ontario as well. I am heading to Gilbertson and Page at Fergus tommorow to pick up some grains. I heard thats a good place and I guess
Cheers
J

wolfboy said:
Thanks for all your input
Bradsul, I take it you are from Ontario as well. I am heading to Gilbertson and Page at Fergus tommorow to pick up some grains. I heard thats a good place and I guess
Cheers
J
I haven't purchased from them yet (though I do have their price list). I'm just down the road in Guelph. I'm debating getting a sack of their crystal 110L to try since I can't seem to source any crystal 120L. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself to buy 25KG of a specialty grain like that.

I agree,
If you keep them in a cool dry place and away from too much light, they will easily last a year or even more.

Note that crushed grains have a much shorter lifespan - crushed grains will start to oxidize in only a few weeks.

Brad

thanks for the replies. I finally got a bag of Canadian 2 row and a bag of Weyermann Wheat pale malt. Hopefully this will used up with out it spoiling.

25kg of 120L crystal can be difficult to use up quickly, I see what you're getting at.

Wolfboy what did you pay for the 25kg 2-row? I picked up a 25kg 2-row in scarborough for $31.50 2months ago.

thanks.

I have about 5 sacks of different grain stored in my basement and I fully expect it to last 2 or 3 years if need be. I know it won't because I date my sacks and when they are opened I seal the remainder in 2# plastic bags. These I use first.

$31.50 is cheap. My last order of CM 2 row cost me $55. I know geography plays a big part in my prices :)

The Members of Barleyment just did a bulk order of grain and I believe a few guys were SOB's ( southern Ontario brewers )

For airtight storage I really like these:

http://www.petco.com/product/13420/Gamma-Vittles-Vault-Plus.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/9799/Gamma-Vittles-Vault-Stackables.aspx

They're a little pricey but they seal nice and tight and they're incredibly convenient. Here's a shot of my basement:

LongRack.jpg

15lb. containers across the top with all my specialty grains and two 40lb. on the bottom with 2-row and munich.

I just put my grain in the cheap plastic totes, from Walmart, and such. The grain I have been using since this January, has been in my basement, in these tubs, for well over 5 years. NO PROBLEMS. And since finding this site, and slightly changing my processes, my efficiency has gone up very nicely. If my grain would have been bad, I would have expected saccarification issues. So, if you keep it protected, it can last a good long time.

BTW ... most of the beers in my signature have been brewed with this grain, and have not bought much until recently.

Hi Nikko
I paid $35 CAD for the 2-row. Its probably from the Prairies. Where did you go in Scarborough to get your grain for such a good price? Grain processors?
Thanks

Back